Last Tomato of 2016

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't think this one would ripen, it was soo green when I picked it.

20170121_120150.jpg

It fell off the windcill and got lost in me bed for a few weeks, think the warmth helped :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've also had that happen before when I picked a very green tomato and it ended up ripening.

On it being lost in your bed, that is a good example of micro-climates. I have some plants that are not cold hardy in the least, so when we get a cold front comes thru, all the tall plants die, but the little seedlings under those taller plants actually survive the cold front, thanks to the micro-climate phenomenon...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we have a cold front moving in
Pasture Storm.jpg
we dash out and pick every green tomato that is golf-ball size or larger. I put them on newspaper on a table in the laundry room and we have tomatoes ripening for six weeks. Nice way to prolong the harvest. Unfortunately the self-seeded seedlings under the bigger plants don't survive.
I picked the last of the spinach and leaf lettuces today. We need to get the seasonal bed prepped for planting around the first of February, and the greens were slowly decreasing in productivity.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks more like summer there @marlin :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Becky... :D

Personally I like fried green tomatoes. End of season and first hard frost I pick everything viable. My neighbor across the street grew up in Southern USA and will take any that I can't use (apparently it's a popular Southern homecooking dish.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, that is a late fall photo--just before a "blue Norther" came in and the temperatures dropped to below freezing. Blue Northers come in fast--a matter of an hour or two--and the temperature drops drastically, and the wind comes up. We have been out in wool jackets picking tomatoes that a few hours earlier we would have picked wearing tee shirts.
Beth, fried green tomatoes is a popular dish for Southern cooks. We had them once. Notice the word "once". Perhaps I didn't prepare them correctly, but it wasn't anything we wanted to eat again.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blue Norther sounds like a Cyndi Lauper song :) And if it's not, then she should write it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@marlingardener, if you find yourself with a surfeit of unripe tomatoes later this year, research recipes and give it another shot! I've also had green tomatoes salsa that was really good.

I have the recipe given me written down somewhere...The key is brown sugar in the batter, it caramelizes and balances out the tanginess of the green tomatoes (they should be somewhat soft, not really hard and green). I really like them this way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Zigs, that is a late fall photo--just before a "blue Norther" came in and the temperatures dropped to below freezing. Blue Northers come in fast--a matter of an hour or two--and the temperature drops drastically, and the wind comes up. We have been out in wool jackets picking tomatoes that a few hours earlier we would have picked wearing tee shirts.
Beth, fried green tomatoes is a popular dish for Southern cooks. We had them once. Notice the word "once". Perhaps I didn't prepare them correctly, but it wasn't anything we wanted to eat again.
I agree re the fried green tomatoes but happy with green tomato pickles, must be the sugar like you said marlingardener

Ask a Question