The 2016 Gardening Forums Sunflower Growing Competition!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's competition time here on Gardening Forums! :D

That's right folks, we have decided to have a competition to see who can grow the TALLEST SUNFLOWER

Rules:

• Members with more than 10 posts can enter.
  • The choice of seed variety is up to you.
  • Feel free to plant more than one if you like!
  • You can plant your sunflower(s) in the ground or in a pot.
  • You have until Friday 9th September to submit a photo of your sunflower, together with the measurement. When taking a photo of your sunflower you must make sure to write your Gardening Forums username on a piece of paper and feature it in the photo.
  • Tallest sunflower wins!
The winner will receive an Amazon Gift Voucher for £20 GBP (or the equivalent amount in your local currency - currently it works out at roughly $29 USD).

If you need any growing tips, check out these guides:

Almanac
Gardeners World
Royal Horticultural Society

Be sure to post in this topic to let us know if you are entering, and keep us updated with your progress! We'd all love to see photos as they grow :)

Gardening Forums Sunflower Competition.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I will not be entering but I am certainly hoping many do, should be fun to see who has the tallest sunflower!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've planted half a dozen Russian Dwarf Red Giant seed :)

Hope they're fertile, been on the car dashboard all year :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have a native sunflower, the Maxmillian sunflower, that is considered a weed in corn fields. I won't be entering the contest since I'll be ripping up sunflowers in the asparagus bed and herb gardens.
It does get very tall, but then, this is Texas . . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You're very welcome to join @LA in Idaho :) You just need to get your post count up to 10 first, so check out the recent activity in the forum.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I will definitely take up the challenge. It is quite a refreshing activity for the gardening community. I have this nagging concern whether a sunflower can nature by the month of September. It will be tricky looking for the tallest variety and the means of environmental optimization for maximum height.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I will definitely take up the challenge. It is quite a refreshing activity for the gardening community. I have this nagging concern whether a sunflower can nature by the month of September. It will be tricky looking for the tallest variety and the means of environmental optimization for maximum height.

It may not reach the peak for everyone by that point, but it's a good to have a deadline that is the same for everyone. If we get unseasonal weather this year and members want to extend the deadline, then we will do (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I actually tried growing a sunflower last year, just for fun - I'd seen them doing really well in other places nearby, so I figured what was the harm of trying.

I failed miserably. I'm tempted to give it a try again to see if I can win...but my black thumb attempt from last year was really a knock to my confidence!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@zigs wow that sunflower is beautiful! Looks like it was very fiddly, but you've done a great job with it (y)

We planted our sunflower seeds last week, so fingers crossed for germination :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@zigs wow that sunflower is beautiful! Looks like it was very fiddly, but you've done a great job with it (y)

We planted our sunflower seeds last week, so fingers crossed for germination :)

Fiddly bit comes next :eek: Got to cut the glass to surround the petals :confused:

Got 2 sunflowers germinated now :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
just to keep the thread going while the sunflowers grow, progress report on the window, only got the odd few hours between jobs to get on with it

DSCI0231.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We re-potted our sunflowers yesterday, I'll try and get some photos up later :)

Ask a Question