29 December 2016 Seedling Light System

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/December%202016/29%20December%202016%20Seedling%20Light%20System/HTML/ 29 December 2016 Seedling Light System
Natural window sunlight is used for most of my indoor growing. Often this is insufficient depending upon the weather. I put together a simple system from purchased parts from Home Depot. A 23 Watt Compact Fluorescent Bulb daylight spectrum was used, a simple reflector, and a 23 liter plastic pail. The heat produced is minor and may be ignored. The lamp fixture was $20.00 complete. The Compact Fluorescent daylight spectrum bulbs were $20.00 for four. The pails was $3.00. I will add a small fan when one if found to move the air in the pail.
dsc_5614_std.jpg

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cool, keep us updated

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/January%202017/16%20January%202016%20First%20Month%20of%20Marijuana%20Plant%20Growth/HTML/ 16 January 2016 First Month of Marijuana Plant Growth
Home cultivation of marijuana plant growing. Procedure was trial and error and extracting information from the internet.
Three seeds were germinated by placing on a damp paper towel and placing in a warm temperature of about 25C. The seeds sprouted in three days.
The seeds were then planted in a plastic cup in homemade plant soil, which is used for all of my seedlings. In three to five days the seeds grew a long skinny plant.
To improve the plant artificial light a compact fluorescent lamp 60 watts full spectrum with a reflector was added in a five gallon bucket, with a fan to gently stir the plant. Light was applied 24 hours a day. The soil temperate was about 28C.The lamp generates little heat. When the plant began to perk up, it was placed in a larger pot. It appears to be thriving. The height of the lamp from the plant can be adjusted easily by tying back the electrical cord. It appears by some innovation that the plant can be matured by adding another 5 gallon pail on top of the existing set up. It is important to gently agitate growing seedling to strengthen the main stalk. But the most important variable is light. Sunlight is best but usually not sufficient in a Northern winter climate.
dsc_5671_std.jpg

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
http://durgan.org/2017/January%202017/16%20January%202016%20First%20Month%20of%20Marijuana%20Plant%20Growth/HTML/ 16 January 2016 First Month of Marijuana Plant Growth
Home cultivation of marijuana plant growing. Procedure was trial and error and extracting information from the internet.
Three seeds were germinated by placing on a damp paper towel and placing in a warm temperature of about 25C. The seeds sprouted in three days.
The seeds were then planted in a plastic cup in homemade plant soil, which is used for all of my seedlings. In three to five days the seeds grew a long skinny plant.
To improve the plant artificial light a compact fluorescent lamp 60 watts full spectrum with a reflector was added in a five gallon bucket, with a fan to gently stir the plant. Light was applied 24 hours a day. The soil temperate was about 28C.The lamp generates little heat. When the plant began to perk up, it was placed in a larger pot. It appears to be thriving. The height of the lamp from the plant can be adjusted easily by tying back the electrical cord. It appears by some innovation that the plant can be matured by adding another 5 gallon pail on top of the existing set up. It is important to gently agitate growing seedling to strengthen the main stalk. But the most important variable is light. Sunlight is best but usually not sufficient in a Northern winter climate.
dsc_5671_std.jpg
[/QUO

Have to say I've never really seen a setup like this one. What do you plan to do when the plant gets bigger?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I will put another pail on top of the existing one, I have it ready now and hang the light by its cord just above the growing plant. And move the light as required as the plant grows.

The plant at the moment is very healthy. I will determine the action as the system unfolds. I may also add two more bulbs along the side of the growing plant if it is determined that the light is insufficient. Also I am contemplating Mylar reflecting material on the inside of the pail. Changes and additions will be implemented as issues arise. My object is to keep the pail idea unless it becomes impractical. I might have to add some ventilating holes at the bottom of the pail. The temperature of the soil is just blow 30C, and I prefer closer to 28C.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I will put another pail on top of the existing one, I have it ready now and hang the light by its cord just above the growing plant. And move the light as required as the plant grows.

The plant at the moment is very healthy. I will determine the action as the system unfolds. I may also add two more bulbs along the side of the growing plant if it is determined that the light is insufficient. Also I am contemplating Mylar reflecting material on the inside of the pail. Changes and additions will be implemented as issues arise. My object is to keep the pail idea unless it becomes impractical. I might have to add some ventilating holes at the bottom of the pail. The temperature of the soil is just blow 30C, and I prefer closer to 28C.

Oh ok, the whole idea is interesting to me and was just wondering. I know the plants tend to get bushy (especially depending on the strain). Ventilation holes seem a must b/c keeping the correct temp as well as the humidity will surely cause mold (or even fungus knats) to occur much more rapidly concealed like that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/January%202017/18%20January%202017%20One%20plant%20growing%20container./HTML/ 18 January 2017 One plant growing container
A container system was made for growing one marijuana plant to maturity. Two 23 liter plastic pails were modified to allow room for growing. The plastic was modified with a coping saw and a hot soldering iron. The lamp was made adjustable with a simple clamp on the cord. A convenient fan was installed for some air movement. Vent holes were burned around the periphery of the bottom pail for some fresh air. The lids of the pail were cut out to make a stable system. The plant pot can be easily removed for watering and maintenance. The system is self contained and can be moved easily.
dsc_5701_std.jpg

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
http://durgan.org/2017/January%202017/18%20January%202017%20One%20plant%20growing%20container./HTML/ 18 January 2017 One plant growing container
A container system was made for growing one marijuana plant to maturity. Two 23 liter plastic pails were modified to allow room for growing. The plastic was modified with a coping saw and a hot soldering iron. The lamp was made adjustable with a simple clamp on the cord. A convenient fan was installed for some air movement. Vent holes were burned around the periphery of the bottom pail for some fresh air. The lids of the pail were cut out to make a stable system. The plant pot can be easily removed for watering and maintenance. The system is self contained and can be moved easily.
dsc_5701_std.jpg
Nice.

Ask a Question