Fig harvest (Late September 2016) zone 6 Kentucky

Reaction score
Reaction score
DSCF9312.JPG

Original post @

BIG Garden Harvest in late August (Peaches, Grapes, Mushrooms, Tomatoes)

Original post @
Heirloom Solar Flare & Gold Berries Tomato & Chanterelle Harvest

The fig season started in August here in Kentucky. I picked one or two at a time, and then throughout September and October I was harvesting a small plate or bowl of figs nearly everyday. At the end of July and throughout August, I foraging and picking Chanterelle mushrooms from the woods as well. I have pictures above and links to see more pictures of the Chanterelle harvests. They are very delicious cooked with a little oil and salt and pepper served over rice.

Reaction score
I highly recommend growing Figs. They grow so quickly, and harvest usually within the first year of planting; and because they do not have flower in the spring, there is no danger of a late frost killing the blooms. Here are some pictures of the fig harvests throughout October:

Original post @
September garden harvest (Tomatoes, Cucumber, FIGS, GRAPES)

Original post @
Figs, Pears, raspberries, tomato harvest Fall 2016

Original post @
Late Fall Fig, Raspberries & Greens harvest (October-November)

Reaction score
Also an interesting fruit that is a wild native fruit to Kentucky is Pawpaw. There many pawpaw trees growing in the woods behind my house where I pick chanterelle mushrooms, but only one fruit grew over the summer. I made a tiny video showing the identification of the Pawpaw flower and fruit of the pawpaw I would later pick. You can watch the video here:
Pawpaw flower & Fruit identification (Kentucky backyard native wild edible) video.
The pawpaw flowers in the spring (mid-April.) This year, there was one pawpaw fruit in my backyard. In Kentucky, the pawpaw flower was out on April 19th of this year. The video portion of the pawpaw fruit was taken on June 21 2016. I harvested the one pawpaw you see in the video on August 13th. I believe I waited a week or a couple of weeks later to eat the pawpaw. By that time, it was brown so I was unsure if it was rotten, but considering it was such a small fruit, I didn't think it would ever be ripe. But, from the amount I tasted of the pawpaw, it was a delicious caramel taste. Although I have heard the distinct flavor is like mango or banana.

Ask a Question