Synthetic turf.

Reaction score
We just bought this stuff for our back yard that looks like real grass, it feels like real grass, but it doesnt take any of the maintenence of grass. I love my lush green lawn but we wanted an area for our puppy to go and do his puppy things on in his fenced area. I didnt want to run water back there and deal with mowing a small strip. It was $169 for a 5 foot by 10 foot piece. It needed a bit of sand under it and then it was nailed down by nails that were provided. To clean it we spray it with a bit of vinegar then hose it off. It has worked great for our small area. I saw someone with an indoor play area that used this stuff as well.

Have you ever used a product like this? What do you think of it?

http://synthetic-turf.com/shop/playgrounds

Reaction score
Yes have used it in the past and was quite pleased with it used it on a very small front garden and the neighbors liked it so much that they went out and bought some for their gardens. That was a few years ago, and like I said it was a small garden not sure if it would suit a larger area. Nowadays it even looks a lot more realistic due to new technologies and it is cheaper. Looked at some at our local Costco about a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with price and look. Worth shopping around as there does appear to be quite a range of price and quality out there today.

Reaction score
I'm surprised that it looks and feels like real grass! If I had a lawn, I might consider it. I would rather focus on the crops I've planted than the grass, but I never realized there was any choice (well, aside from just killing the grass ;) ). It does look like the technology has improved vastly over the years. I wonder how it holds up with dogs (I only have three non-destructive dogs that are under 15lbs each, but they do have to do their duty...).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My husband is quite keen on this because we are having a lot of problems getting our lawn to grow well in our back garden - due to how sheltered it is, the amount of shade and the fact that there is a yew tree in the middle of it (which we cannot remove) the lawn has a lot going against it! We're going to give it a couple of years of TLC, and if it still isn't growing well then we will either re-landscape and put flower beds where the grass doesn't grow, or get a synthetic lawn.

Do you know whether the colour fades over time in the sun?

Reaction score
Our color has not faded in the year we have had it. I thought maybe summer would damage it. The stuff came with a 25 year warranty but I think from reviews that if it sees a lot of sun the color will fade slightly starting at 10 to 15 years. For the price we paid and the fact that it requires nothing more then a spray with the hose it was well worth it. I figure the cost of the fertilizer and gas from the mower adds up and the time I don't need to spend maintaining it is nice too.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the real cheap stuff just to tart my patio up and hide some rough old concrete.

Stayed in a Hotel in Salisbury where they had the more expensive stuff, it was lush :)

Ask a Question