Thinning turf

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Last Autumn, we re-turfed our back garden as it was so patchy/thin when we moved in to the house. At first we thought it was because of the dogs that the previous owner had, as there were urine scorch marks all over the place.

However, even though there was plenty of new topsoil put down and rotovated, it's started to thin again. It hasn't had a chance to have a big growth spurt, so perhaps once Spring finally hits it will spring back to life. Some areas of the grass look like someone has been playing football on it for years ;).

Do you have any tips for things I can do to give the turf a good change of thickening and providing a lush lawn? I'm going to cut back some of the yew bushes near one side of the turf, as it's probably preventing airflow and adding to the shade. I'll also get some more Rolawn grass seed to try and infill some of the thinning patches.

Ask a Question