Grass from seed or turf?

Reaction score
There are always two divisions with landscapers here, as to whether they get their grass from a turf company or start it from seed..
Personally most of my grass comes from a turf company and couldn't be happier..

That said I do have some areas that have come from seed through time, they are fantastic too, with the only drawback being once the grass has grown to a decent length you have to go back with more seed to fill the gaps that aren't as thick.

Any preferences?

Reaction score
I'm not big on grass to begin with and find the task of sodding or seeding a monumental and backbreaking task. My do generally seeded although he used some small amounts of sod for the more problematic areas. They do have some excellent quick growing seeds now and I would be inclined to use them vs. the expense of buying sod. A lot depends on how big the area is and how much does someone want to invest in it?

Reaction score
At my work last year we always seeded. I think the boss would put down sod rolls if requested, but we never did while I've been there. We put a starter fertilizer on with the seed and it comes up real nice. We did a lot of re-seeding for the local natural gas company, after they would have to dig up areas for whatever reasons, and usually within a month the grass we'd seeded would be as nice or nicer than the surrounding yard. There were a few places we did in the ghetto of the city where our seeding in a 10x10 patch made a big improvement on the whole house...

Reaction score
I used to do landscaping as a summer job and we did both. Most customers preferred to have sod laid down. I personally prefer seed, but the sod looks better initially. As most of the customers had practically identical gardens with little or no imagination, everyone did the same thing. Sod the lawn, plant a hedge and a couple of rhododendrons. Sod is a lot more work as laying it out is heavy and a pain. Seed can be less even at first but it grows in and one can reseed if there are any gaps.

Reaction score
I guess the outcome of this thread isn't too much of a surprise, but I had been expecting to see more people start from grass than have turf.

Not long after posting this thread there was an area in my yard I was looking to turn into lawn, so for a change I used seed, it was a slow start but after a while has started turning out to be ok, but it's certainly not for you unless you have a lot of patience.

But again my miracle garden cure seems to have contributed as well, Seasol.. Not long after adding the grass started to take off much better than before.

Ask a Question