Smoke bush?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
Okay, folks! Here's another stab at another plant ID. So far, very few of my plants have been ID. This one should be easier... look at the left side of the screen. There's a very large shrub with pinkish white flowers and what appears to be a much smaller one to the right. Which cultivar is it?

Thank you!

N0000000_-_126-cook-nov-27-2014--3_zps5fklm888.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
You must have the wrong country flag it is 1c or 34f here. No poolside lawn chairs because our grass is still thawing!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
You must have the wrong country flag it is 1c or 34f here. No poolside lawn chairs because our grass is still thawing!!!

Haha!! Correct country! Pic was taken 3 years ago in July or so... different owners. This is taken from the realtor site when it went for sale. We just bought the place a few months ago...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
Looks a stunning garden.
May I suggest you wait a while before changing anything.
There may be all sorts of plants/bulbs which will appear when the weather warms up.

I agree... for the most part...Although I figure if I have properly identified certain plants, and they are in need of a clean up, then don't feel I should hesitate. Unfortunately, the last owners, who did not actually create this garden as they were here for only a brief period (3.5 years), did not keep up with it. The pic looks a lot better than what you see now. Several shrubs are way out of control. Many branches are old and dead. I figure that removing at least those branches and pruning plants I am familiar with (like the dogwood I cleaned up) won't do much harm.

I am positive now that these are smokebush shrubs. I looked them up and the info I have found says that a good pruning now (late winter/early spring) is highly advisable in order to control the plant. I might take a good amount off so that it doesn't get out of control. I won't be able to do this in July.

Thank you all for the input! I have a few more pics to post to continue with the guessing game!

Ask a Question