Winterizing Potted Jasmine and Rose Bush

Reaction score
Country
United States
What’s the best way to winterize a jasmine and a rose bush that are in large pots? I live in zone 6b. I’m on the 7th floor of an apartment complex with a balcony. Is it better to bring them indoors? Do I need to change the soil? Isn’t cold necessary to help them go dormant?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Is that a winter jasmine, or just an indoor jasmine please? You need to find out the name of your plants and check for hardiness. Winter jasmine with yellow flowers will certainly be able to stay outside. It might help if you put a thermostat in your balcony to find out how cold it is when it snows. Rose can be quite robust. Best is to find out the name. Don't overwater in winters as that is the most common reason why plants die in winter!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The type of plant I need advice on is the Jasmine Bell of India.

Can we have a pic of your plant please? Is it a climbing plant? For one, it says hardiness 10. What is your hardiness zone please?

Although a minimum indoor temperature of 60º and good light are needed to reach its full potential,...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a pix of the jasmine. Generally, at what outdoor temperature should I consider bringing the plant indoors?

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 411

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As above! Put a thermostat near your balcony and when it goes about 60c, you can retire it. Don't overwater in winter. Still give it good light though! It's such a healthy plant, you can take cuttings but cutting the inward growing stems.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What percentage of the inward growing stems should I trim away? How big/thick of a stem should I focus on trimming away? Also, do I need to feed it fertilizer at all during the winter months?

On a side note...is it possible to get seeds at all from this type of Jasmine plant?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look here please

In winter, most plants shut down and slow down

To grow from seeds is a very painful and involved process. You could use those branches that you have pruned as cuttings

It will be much faster. Some cuttings might even flower the same season.

Ask a Question