Winterizing Indoor Catnip

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So about a month ago I got 2 new kittens, Brisco and Finley and thought that it would be a neat idea to grow some catnip figuring that by the time they were old enough to respond to it, that it would big enough to give them the occasional treat.
20160907_192429-1.jpg

Being brand new to herbs or anything of the like, I got one of those catnip kits at the pet store since the directions seemed easy enough.
Greenhouse.jpg

After a little time 2 of the seeds sprouted but 1 was very small and didn't make it. The other however was off to a good start. I kept it in the kit until it got a couple of sets of true leaves and then I decided to bite the bullet and try to move it to an actual pot with potting soil figuring that would be better than the peat that it was growing in.

Now for my question. I live in zone 9b and the days are getting shorter. I have this in a south facing window and It's currently getting about 7 hours of direct sunlight but I'm sure that will decrease. Is there anything I need to do or will the decreased sunlight be ok? I can't really go out and spend anything on lights because my wife is already frowning at how much I've spent.

Also, when do I need to start pruning? I'd like to have a nice bushy plant but I'm not sure how much the growth is going to slow down as the days get shorter. Below are the pictures I've been taking as I've been logging the growth.

Sep 30.png

Oct 4.png

Oct 7.png

Oct 10.png

Oct 14.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Aww what adorable kittens, thank you for sharing that photo! :love:

OK, so catnip...it is a perennial and even up here in the frozen north it comes back every year, even outside in a container. It's really hardy. So in your zone if you have outdoor space it would do fine. If you keep it indoors, with decreased light, it may get spindly and tall over winter. I'd not do any heavy-duty pruning (although your kittens might decide to destroy it lol); just pinch off any flower buds at the top of the plant as they happen. Flowers take a lot of a plant's energy at the expense of leaf growth.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Aww... :love: You named it Groot !! :ROFLMAO:

And the kittens are adorable.

I know nothing about catnip.

Welcome to the forum!! :)

I am Groot.

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Colonel Mustard!! I like it! I was leaning toward Mean Mr. Mustard, but that's better. (y)

If you're willing to work with puns, in the movie Short Circuit the robot was named "Johnny Five," so you could always have "Johnny Chive." :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Beautiful kittens, Celebane, boys I gather with such manly namesakes:cool:. I have cat grass in a pot in my cat cage for Polly , my beeautttiful 7 month old kitten, and she loves it, buries her head in it, and a large bush of cat thyme in her other condo and she goes right in under it. Very cute. I'll try to get a snapshot. So far the catnip isn't enticing for her.

Ask a Question