Smoke Bush Care

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Last year I put in a smoke bush, originally I wanted to put in two but wanted to see how the bush would take since they are quite expensive. My plan was to fill a gap along a tree line with the smoke bush in back and then transplant some orange tiger lilies in front of that in a semi circle. I have more of those tiger lilies then I know what to do with. I thought the color contrast would be striking.

Anyway the ground is slightly clay and I did add a fair amount of peat with some good grade garden soil. The bush seemed to take, I saw no wilt or die off. My question is with the extreme cold we have had this year I am wondering if I should try to fertilize the shrub in the spring or if I am better to just let it alone and see what happens. I am afraid because it was new the weather might have been to extreme for the bush. I put it in during the late summer so it might get some root established before winter. I went to check on that bush and a spirea that is a year older and they looked good, no chew markets from critters or anything. Anyone have these kinds of shrubs? any suggestions?
smoke-bush-royal-puple.gif

Reaction score
Oh how I love these shrubs and have to say that yours is an excellent example of how beautiful they can look.

Having grown many varieties of Cotinus or Smoke Bush in many different climates - I can assure you that they are extremely hardy - especially as even allowing for the fact that some varieties differ in terms of hardiness - the majority can easily withstand temperatures of well below - 20 C to - 25 C and some way more than that.

With regard to fertilizing - although its generally not recommend once the plant has become established - Cotinus do - during their first couple of years of getting established - benefit from a very light dressing of organic plant food each spring - however - as Cotinus don't like rich overly fertile soil - be careful not to over fertilize - as not only will over fertilizing reduce the intensity of the foliage color but you will also get coarse lanky, spindly growth as well.

Ask a Question