Hickory Smoked Turkey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@alp got my juices flowing so to speak in another thread about ribs, so since it is a Sunday, some type of roasty fowl is in order, and I like smoked turkey. This is a hot smoke, trying to keep 325f.

IMG_20180923_140519.jpg

I use a pizza stone to smooth out the heat source.
IMG_20180923_140543.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_20180923_135054.jpg
I am treating this like one would cook a drunk chicken, save no beer can, as that is too small. A coffee can in this case, stuffed with onion and lemons and filled with water. The carcass has 1 cup poultry spices cooked in butter, rubbed under the skin after cooling. The skin has poultry spices mixed into oil, and rubbed sensually into the skin. It is sensual turkey at a certain point I am sure. Sooo much rubbing. And aromatics, and oils, and fingers..oh my. Just put your arms behind your head....I do appreciate large firm breasts. LOL.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_20180923_142404.jpg
A hot fire brings tbs early. I get there with a lot of hot charcoal from a chimney, then add hickory wood, then another chimney of hot coals on top of that. The bird is not wrapped like my ribs or other fatty cuts, and it is lean so high and hot is better. But I am not teaching the better cooks on this forum
IMG_20180923_133111.jpg
anything am I?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 45229 A hot fire brings tbs early. I get there with a lot of hot charcoal from a chimney, then add hickory wood, then another chimney of hot coals on top of that. The bird is not wrapped like my ribs or other fatty cuts, and it is lean so high and hot is better. But I am not teaching the better cooks on this forum View attachment 45230 anything am I?

I wish I lived next to you. I will be using this furnace every day. I love spare ribs much more than turkey. Have you tried pigeons? They have a delicate flavour. Just love food. Love beef as well with lots of marbles! Yummmmmm!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Son and I were amazed at how big our American cousins were. We were watching Suburbans secrets and the murdered lady's godfather was HUGE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I wish I lived next to you. I will be using this furnace every day. I love spare ribs much more than turkey. Have you tried pigeons? They have a delicate flavour. Just love food. Love beef as well with lots of marbles! Yummmmmm!
I appreciate your sentiments. However, many of our kinsmen across the Atlantic failed to appreciate Benjiman Franklin and his thoughts on smoked turkey, as he nearly made it our national bird. But given Franklins proclivity for the appreciation of large firms breasts when he was on your side of the Atlantic I am sure I understand his sentiment toward smoked turkey as different from yours.

For those unaware, Franklins sexual exploits were carried back across the water even as he pressed for support of the colonies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Son and I were amazed at how big our American cousins were. We were watching Suburbans secrets and the murdered lady's godfather was HUGE!
I have never seen it. Was he a fatty or just a tall Hun?

Added more wood, which is not bad if more than 50% of the heat is coming from coals.
IMG_20180923_152737.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I. But given Franklins proclivity for the appreciation of large firms breasts when he was on your side of the Atlantic I am sure I understand his sentiment toward smoked turkey as different from yours.

For those unaware, Franklins sexual exploits were carried back across the water even as he pressed for support of the colonies.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Beer on the breasts AND down the mouths! Crumbs! Hope I don't sound gross!
Its ok! As I still understand it, over here most young people would call that "Spring Break" and pay to attend:oops:... We also have Mardi Gras, and a few other gatherings where people misbehave in groups but no turkey is served.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
DirtM: Do you cook a lot? How long does it take you two lovebirds to finish a bird like that? Turkeys are huge birds with lot of meat! I have never seen such a smoker like that in this country!

Ask a Question