Should we fertilize now?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is now a good time to fertilize the lawn? We have not really done anything to feed the soil in a long time. Should we consider feeding the lawn now that fall is here?

Reaction score
I am thinking that if you fertilize now you will encourage tender new growth. And, doesn't Maryland get frost about now?

I would not want tender new growth just before a frost. If you will get frost within the next month or so I would not fertilize now, I would wait until spring.

In my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We usually fertilizer the small lawn in the front yard during the rainy season. Some say that the fertilizer is wasted because it will be washed out by the rain. That is true. We sprinkle the compost on the lawn when there is no forecast of rain. On the next day, we water the lawn if it does not rain. Fertilizing the lawn during summer is not a good idea because of the hot weather will dry the grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'd wait. Fertilizing will make your grass grow really fast and the new growth might not survive the cold. Let your lawn rest:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes from mid October to the end of November is a good time to apply winter fertilize. Actually I have it on my list of things to do but first have to get the leaves cleaned up so that the fertilizer don't just sit on them.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am thinking that if you fertilize now you will encourage tender new growth. And, doesn't Maryland get frost about now?

I would not want tender new growth just before a frost. If you will get frost within the next month or so I would not fertilize now, I would wait until spring.

In my opinion.
We have had a frost in Maryland but right now we are having a beautiful Indian Summer, it should last all week. Which is why I asked, if I should take advantage of this beautiful weather. I do think I will wait till spring to fertilize the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
My husband always fertilizes in the lawn in the fall. He like Scotts brand feritilizer. He'll also do one last mow before the snow falls. He raises his mower blade so that the lawn is little longer than in the summer. You have to be careful with timing, if you fertilize too early it will promote new growth and if you fertilize too late it won't do anything to benefit the lawn. We are having beautiful fall weather here in Ontario. I think my husband will fertilize the lawn this week.

Ask a Question