Plant ID: i should know it but i don't :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I love this plant and would like add it to my garden but first i need to know more about it and where it would be most happy growing. It is fairly common where i live. I would like to know the botanical and common names (in english). Then i can determine what it is called in my location. It appears to grow well in pots.

Also, please assure me there 2 plants growing in the same pot. I am interested in the short leafed plant and not the longer leafed one. Thank you so much.
P1030262.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It rained all day Monday, So Tuesday was plant shopping day and here is what i found
P1030268.JPG

It will grow outside here (in zones 10 & 11) with lots of humidity and will do well in a pot as a small tree (12-18'/3.7-5.5m). I am told in more northern climates it is grown as a houseplant that may reach 3 ft/lm, Prefers partial or dappled shade.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant in question is Dracaena reflexa 'Song of India' it is a variegated cultivar of a species of Dragon-tree (Dracaena) in the Butcher-broom Family (Ruscaceae, or alternatively, Nolinoideae, Asparagaceae). The species is not originally from India, but is rather native to Mozambique, Madagascar, the Mascarenes, and other nearby islands.

The other plant shown in the container in the OP is also a Dracaena. In this case, Dracaena fragrans "Massangeana', a variegated cultivar of a species native to tropical Africa.

Reaction score
Country
Saint Lucia
My cousin gave me a large piece of this plant but not roots. I’ve had it for about two weeks it hasn’t died but still no roots. Any Idea what I should do

Ask a Question