Should I transplant the tomatoes or not?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Hello!
I'm new to gardening with zero transplanting experience. I have a 2 month old tomato plant grown from seed over this winter. I've been wondering if I should try to transplant it elsewhere since it's in a small container outside the window. I don't really want to put it elsewhere because I read that transplant shock can easily kill tomato plants.

Here are some pictures so you can get an idea of the container's size.

sKYjKvE.jpg
bt7thYs.jpg

I'm in Zone 12 so I don't think I have to worry about them freezing over, only being set on fire during the summer.
So the question is will they survive if I keep them here?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello!
I'm new to gardening with zero transplanting experience. I have a 2 month old tomato plant grown from seed over this winter. I've been wondering if I should try to transplant it elsewhere since it's in a small container outside the window. I don't really want to put it elsewhere because I read that transplant shock can easily kill tomato plants.

Here are some pictures so you can get an idea of the container's size.

sKYjKvE.jpg
bt7thYs.jpg

I'm in Zone 12 so I don't think I have to worry about them freezing over, only being set on fire during the summer.
So the question is will they survive if I keep them here?
You must transplant. Isn't that box lined with plastic? If it is you will surely get root rot, plus that box isn't even close to being big enough. Not only that but if you keep watering it and it isn't plastic lined you will soon have a pile of dirt on your floor as the box will deteriorate into little pieces. I would carefully lift it out of the box with the plastic and gently remove most of the soil and put that soil into a large container. If no plastic is present just cut the box away from the dirt. With what is left I would pick it up with something flat, like a large spatula or very stiff cardboard and place it into the large container almost as deep as the first stem. Fertilize it minimally and water it in. In two weeks fertilize again. Give it a minimum of 6 hours direct sunlight but if it is over 100F (38C) temperature for more than 3 hours place it in partial shade.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
What kind of pot should I get for the plant? Any suggestions please? I planted it in the cardboard box just to see it grow, but I'm really attached to it now. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What kind of pot should I get for the plant? Any suggestions please? I planted it in the cardboard box just to see it grow, but I'm really attached to it now. :(
There are 3 types of containers and all 3 must have drainage holes in the bottom. There is clay, porcelain and plastic. Clay pots are minutely porous so that means water will evaporate quicker than plastic or porcelain and it will normally break sooner than porcelain, but porcelain costs more. Plastic is the way to go. Its cheap, it won't break and it isn't porous.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
There are 3 types of containers and all 3 must have drainage holes in the bottom. There is clay, porcelain and plastic. Clay pots are minutely porous so that means water will evaporate quicker than plastic or porcelain and it will normally break sooner than porcelain, but porcelain costs more. Plastic is the way to go. Its cheap, it won't break and it isn't porous.
I thought plastic would cause root rot? I ordered plastic pots from eBay a few days ago and I don't know when they're going to get here. How long do you think the plant will survive if I leave it in that spot for a few weeks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought plastic would cause root rot? I ordered plastic pots from eBay a few days ago and I don't know when they're going to get here. How long do you think the plant will survive if I leave it in that spot for a few weeks?
Maybe it will survive, maybe not. But if you don't transplant it now it will produce very little if any and the plant will be stunted. Root rot will occur in ANY pot if there are not enough drain holes to get rid of excess water. The pot should be big enough to hold at least 4 gallons, preferably more. A tomato, depending on the variety will grow to an excess of 3 1/2 feet tall and 2 feet wide unless it is a dwarf of some kind and the plant looks more like a cherry type which will grow to at least 5 feet tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

One more type are peat pots... Available in many sizes and can be put directly in the ground.l

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Do you know what kind of tomato plant it is?
Don't know unfortunately. :(
I thought I was growing a catnip first. I'll have to be more mindful on where to grow plants next time. :)

I don't think I should plant it in the ground because summer is going to come, plus there isn't really any ideal spot for it.
How large should the pot be?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't know unfortunately. :(
I thought I was growing a catnip first. I'll have to be more mindful on where to grow plants next time. :)

I don't think I should plant it in the ground because summer is going to come, plus there isn't really any ideal spot for it.
How large should the pot be?
A minimum of 4 gallons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
These were the largest I could find. Will the plant make it in here?
The 500ml water bottle next to them is for scaling.

vqxXF3S.jpg
VERY doubtful. Those look to be about 2 gallons. Do you have paint stores where you live? If so they will have 4-5 gallon buckets.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
VERY doubtful. Those look to be about 2 gallons. Do you have paint stores where you live? If so they will have 4-5 gallon buckets.

I'll try looking again tomorrow. I'll keep these for catnips. (I hope I can grow catnip in there, can I?)

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Catnip will do fine in those.
Definitely need 5-gallon buckets for tomatoes. And drill or punch holes in the bottom for drainage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll try looking again tomorrow. I'll keep these for catnips. (I hope I can grow catnip in there, can I?)

Thanks for the help!
Perfect for catnip. You can use those pots with your tomato for a period of time until it gets too big and then you put into a larger pot..................again.

Ask a Question