Mountain Ash Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mountain Ash has lots of ground growth but is really struggling on the branches, it looks like it’s dying-quite quickly as only just noticed how bad it is. There’s minimal leaf growth, it looks quite grey and I don’t know what to do, if I can save it I really want to, any ideas would be appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here’s some photos of what’s going on-really sad :(

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh no, sounds like your Mountain Ash is having a rough time! If there's a lot of growth at the base but the branches are struggling, it might be stressed from something like disease or pest issues. First things first, check for any signs of bugs or funky spots on the leaves and branches that could hint at a disease. It's also a good idea to make sure it's not getting too much or too little water, as both can stress your tree out. Try clearing any debris or mulch away from the base to avoid rot and give it some breathing room. If things still look grim, you might want to grab a sample of the tree or some photos and show them to a local garden center or an arborist for more targeted advice. Fingers crossed you can nurse it back to health!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sam. we have just been looking at your tree here in Kent, and we know your soil is probably acid and good for this tree, but it does seem to look as if the top may be dying off. We think that cutting the whole of the top off might become necessary and allow it to regrow from the base. The other thought is that a lot of plants are slower this spring because of the sub normally cold air temperatures. Can I see white mould on the top branches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your valued feedback. The tree is very grey but I don’t think it’s mould, it’s difficult to tell.
If I cut down to regrow I’m thinking that will take many years? And where do I cut from if I do?
Thank you and look forward to hearing back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading accounts all over the place about these Rowan trees being in trouble. The situation with yours actually could relate to many other trees that we have growing here in Kent - and not only trees incidentally. A variety of our own trees have looked scant to say the least, and a couple of weeks ago I remember commenting to Zigs ''do you think those two fastiagate Beech trees have had it?''
Today, since the weather seems to have picked up a bit, those two seemingly 'dead' trees are looking brilliant. This is making me wonder if the problem with yours may be because of the very low air temperatures we've experience during the important spring growing period, and the cold winds that have been blowing too.
Maybe the immediate answer is to give this tree a bit more time. Maybe a wodge of New Forest pony poo, well rotted, and a little more time.
As an afterthought....
A few of our trees started into growth with unusually minute leaves which was a bit worrying too - but they are doing well now the sun is shining - as you can see with the Davidii or handkerchief tree Zigs put on the ''What looks good in May'' thread.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree, I’ll give this more time. One last question though, do you think I should cut back this new bottom growth, I was wondering if this might help the top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I would leave it for now. If it does become necessary to cut it down, the new bottom growth is what would form a new multi-stemmed plant.
Nothing is always the most difficult thing to do you know ;)
See what it's like in two weeks time, and try to concentrate on something else in the garden in the meantime.

Ask a Question