Mountain gardening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks havent been on here in a while had house to sort out

I just want your opinions on something I'm gonna try and take up.

I'm going to go and do mountain gardening

Building a bed out of fallen logs and trying to grow some veg or some fruits

What are your thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What you mention sounds similar to what is known as Hugelkultur. Is this to what you are referring?

Hugelkultur can be a fine method for incorporating organic matter into the soil, one of many. There are endless techniques and articles about it. I also enjoy the aesthetics of it and have incorporated some semi-Hugelkultur elements into some of my ornamental beds.

The only word of caution to mention at the start is to be sure to build safely. Hugelkultur mounds are earthworks designed to decompose and settle with time. Be certain that it will settle back into itself rather than creating a risk of landslide or collapse.
This is especially a concern if there is already a slope in place.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States

What are your thoughts?

I'm planning on building a Hugelkultur bed this year, too. I've been doing a lot of reading on it, and have a couple of friends that have had great success with it. To address Marck's concerns, one of the things I've read is to build it at the bottom of a slope. It will also catch more rainwater that way.

One technique article said to dig a slight trench to start it in, but on of the biggest reasons I'm trying it is that my soil is made up of basalt rocks (ranging in size from a child's fist up to a basketball) and clay. Oh, not to mention the gravel that was laid on top and filtered down locking it all together. My friend didn't dig a trench. She just started piling it up on top of the ground. That was about 5 years ago. She initially built it up about 4 feet. It's now down to about 2 feet, and anything she plants there grows like crazy. I can hardly wait until it's warm enough here (North Central Idaho) to try it! There's a downed log on our property that is almost completely rotten - the best kind to start with.

Reaction score
Country
United States

What are your thoughts?
What zone? What altitude?

Ask a Question