Greetings from the mountains of Central/Southern California!

WindFarmer

Nature always bats last.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As noted on my profile page, I was once a successful vegetable gardener; I couldn't give away enough tomatoes, beans, lettuce or endive, the bounty was so great. But that was when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area (I grew up there), where the climate was temperate, the wind calm, and the water usually plentiful.

A few years ago, my better half and I relocated to a small mountain town on the dividing line between Northern and Southern California. The elevation is just over 4,000 feet, and the weather is prone to extremes. (About two weeks ago, just when I thought winter was over, it snowed, killing the last of my normally hardy desert succulents.) To make matters worse, a brisk,stiff wind is the norm, save for a precious month or two during the summer (when the air is so still, you can almost hear your own sweat trickle down your neck). We actually live within sight of one of the largest wind farms in the U.S., and, surrounded on all sides by mountains, we're in a sort of funnel that sucks the wind across our property (five acres, completely off the grid), almost constantly.

Thus, gardening here is more than a challenge; I feel like I'm learning how to garden all over again, from scratch. This is the first year I've been able to keep eight seedlings alive (four varieties of tomatoes, three peppers, and an eggplant) at all; I am holding my breath and crossing every finger and toe as these little plants are spending their first week outside, in their newly-built protective box on our porch. (We have plenty of land, but I don't dare leave them far from the house, due to the wind and the countless critters everywhere.)

Nevertheless, I am not discouraged! I look forward to picking up tips and tricks for gardening in windy climes, and will be more than happy to share my successes (and failures).

I'm very glad to be here!

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Welcome to the forum!

Hope you have fun here. We will be happy to learn about your gardening experiences.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. It does take some effort to learn to garden in a new climate when you move to a new area. It requires you treat your plants in a different manner, water more or less as needed.

Looking forward to hear how it goes for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Hey there! So Cal is "home" for us but my husband's job requires a lot of moving so we are in Japan right now! Miss that So Cal sunshine and the weather!

I hear what you mean about moving presenting some new challenges when it comes to growing. With this lifestyle, we are moving every 3-4 years so I feel like once I finally feel at ease with the growing conditions, we are up and moving someplace else!

I guess I should just embrace the fun of the challenge ;)

So glad to have you here with us! :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Ask a Question