Salutations from the Rocky Mountains!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
New to the forums, so I thought I would drop by an introduce myself. My name is Alyson and I live in Loveland, Colorado. It's been about 15 years since I've gardened or planted a thing, so I'm looking forward to getting back into gardening - I'm moving into a house that actually has a yard, so I'm ready to plant! I also raise and show Silken Windhounds. I look forward to catching you all on the forums, and I hope I'm not too annoying! I know, initially, I'll be asking a load of questions. :)

Warm Regards from Colorado!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)A warm welcome to you Alyson. How exciting for you that now you get to experience the magic of gardening again and see what you've been missing all these years. You will encounter here a kind and responsive group of people, many new gardeners and many seasoned gardeners from all corners of the world. We all have questions whether we are new or seasoned so don't hesitate to dump your wheelbarrow full of questions on the forums. Already i have learned something new from you. Silken Windhounds. I have never heard of them...am i the only one? I will look them up to see what they are about...by the name, i am guessing they are beautiful. Do they like to dig?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
:)A warm welcome to you Alyson. How exciting for you that now you get to experience the magic of gardening again and see what you've been missing all these years. You will encounter here a kind and responsive group of people, many new gardeners and many seasoned gardeners from all corners of the world. We all have questions whether we are new or seasoned so don't hesitate to dump your wheelbarrow full of questions on the forums. Already i have learned something new from you. Silken Windhounds. I have never heard of them...am i the only one? I will look them up to see what they are about...by the name, i am guessing they are beautiful. Do they like to dig?

Silken Windhounds are not a very common or well known breed of dog. They don't dig any more than any other sort of dog - but they do love to run, run, run. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I could see by the photos on the internet that these dogs love to run, but i assumed they would not "fetch" :) It looks like they are really stunning when they do run, born to run. In Mexico there are Xoloitzcuintlis (Mexican Hairless dogs), called Xolos (pron. Showlows) that many people might not be aware of. They go way back in the history and traditions of Mexico to pre-Columbian times, i think. These dogs require a lot of attention and care so most people do not have them as pets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I could see by the photos on the internet that these dogs love to run, but i assumed they would not "fetch" :) It looks like they are really stunning when they do run, born to run. In Mexico there are Xoloitzcuintlis (Mexican Hairless dogs), called Xolos (pron. Showlows) that many people might not be aware of. They go way back in the history and traditions of Mexico to pre-Columbian times, i think. These dogs require a lot of attention and care so most people do not have them as pets.

I've met a few Xolos! Only through dog shows - I've never seen one just out and about as a pet! They are very unique looking. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Welcome enigma. I'm sure you will enjoy the forum.
I hadn't heard of the Silken Windhounds either so I googled.... they certainly look like they'd run like the wind. They would be magnificent to watch I'm sure, with their silken locks flowing in the breeze.
Not only do I enjoy the forum for allowing me talk garden till the cows come home but being exposed to these interesting snippets. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Enigma.:) I've not come across your dogs before either. No offence meant but they look like a cross between a Greyhound and Borzoi.

Oh, and enjoy your new garden! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Enigma.:) I've not come across your dogs before either. No offence meant but they look like a cross between a Greyhound and Borzoi.

Oh, and enjoy your new garden! :)

No offense taken! They are relatively closely related to Borzoi, so you're close, there!

Reaction score
Hi there, Alyson! Welcome to the forum :) How exciting! I hope you can share some pictures of your new yard, you know, before you start working on it ;) Then after some months it'd be nice if you showed us the results of your hard gardening work :) By the way, I am also moving to a new place, sadly this new house has a smaller yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi there, Alyson! Welcome to the forum :) How exciting! I hope you can share some pictures of your new yard, you know, before you start working on it ;) Then after some months it'd be nice if you showed us the results of your hard gardening work :) By the way, I am also moving to a new place, sadly this new house has a smaller yard.

Ha! As soon as I get the keys this Friday, I will be taking pictures and posting them - hopefully people will have suggestions of what I ought to do. ;) I'm wishing for warmer weather, already. Supposedly, it's going to snow this Friday, also! I hope the yard isn't under inches of white so I'll be able to show off the potential. Small yard, but a good one.

Reaction score
Ha! As soon as I get the keys this Friday, I will be taking pictures and posting them - hopefully people will have suggestions of what I ought to do. ;) I'm wishing for warmer weather, already. Supposedly, it's going to snow this Friday, also! I hope the yard isn't under inches of white so I'll be able to show off the potential. Small yard, but a good one.

Nice, looking forward to that :) I might be doing the same too in a couple months, I totally love seeing that kind of pictures for the same reason: the potential. Then some months later see how it did go.

Ask a Question