Rats in Garden - should I be worried?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was just getting a few jobs done in the Kitchen, when I looked outside to see a rat scurrying around outside looking for ways in to our house (thankfully there aren't any unless I leave a door open!).

We've got no food sources they could feed from (except planted onions ;)), although there is a pond that they may be able to drink from.

I was very surprised to see a rat wondering around so happily in daylight!

I wasn't going to do anything about it, as it could just be a one off and we never see it again... but I thought it may be useful to know how problematic having rats in the garden is!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was just getting a few jobs done in the Kitchen, when I looked outside to see a rat scurrying around outside looking for ways in to our house (thankfully there aren't any unless I leave a door open!).

We've got no food sources they could feed from (except planted onions ;)), although there is a pond that they may be able to drink from.

I was very surprised to see a rat wondering around so happily in daylight!

I wasn't going to do anything about it, as it could just be a one off and we never see it again... but I thought it may be useful to know how problematic having rats in the garden is!
VERY problematic. Texas rats just find tomatoes and cantaloupes irresistible. There isn't much I can do about the cantaloupes but rats are one reason I pick my tomatoes at first blush of color. They don't seem to like peppers, beans or squash. One year they did a lot of damage to my corn when they climbed up the stalk and took a few bites and then moved on to another stalk and ruined the ears on that one. Just about ate my entire crop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
They are harvesting the wheat in the fields around us, so rats and mice are about to descend on the garden in droves. Not a problem, they do not hang around here, the cats see to that. However in a town I would be more concerned as rats there come up from the sewers. Here they are field living so not so germ ridden.
There are plenty of poisons available. We use one in a box so nothing else can get at it. Read and follow the instructions on the box.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

They do say we are never more than 6' away from a rat Ian when it comes to drains and sewers. Years ago Bron and I were alarmed having been awoken at around 2am; something was running around on the ceiling just above our heads and when we made a noise we heard it run to the corner of the bedroom then it appeared to go down the cavity in the wall? This started to be a regular occurrence and to make matters worse it was wearing two pair of clogs making a lot of noise; it must have been moving around on the ceiling plasterboard under the loft insulation ours being a bungalow so it was just above us. Bron was terrified so we involved our local council pest control who came out and laid poison; we found a small opening in the front outside wall where possibly the rat had gained access; a few weeks later under the bungalow smelled truly awful; I found the decomposing dead rat and disposed of it; I filled in the hole and no trouble since. Rats are bad news anytime. I hope it was just a one off for you but now you'll be on alert?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a rural area surrounded by fields and an allotment, so obviously we are use to seeing the odd rat/ mouse/fox/ deer etc.
We have never had any problems....not even in our compost area, which I've heard some people have experienced problems with.
All we do is ensure that we knowingly don't leave anything around that will encourage them to stay!! They pass through our garden occasionally.......that's fine with us:)(y)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the advice everyone - we do live on the edge of the town, so I'm hoping it's just come in from the fields in search of water. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the garden in the coming weeks and see what happens.

I can't imagine there's anything in our garden they'd like to eat, so that should hopefully mean we're ok :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Real rats? wow, those are huge. would not want them. not a good sign. we little field mice every now and then turn up. some got in my gazebo over the winter made little nests there. if the cats can't get to them they survive. Saw some rats in New Orleans once, they carry diseases I have read. the size of them were amazing, no wonder they breed a certain dog for them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rare to see them in the day I would imagine it was either I’ll or like you say desperate for water due to this weather

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So far so good, I've not seen any more - so hopefully it was just looking for water and disappeared back where it came from :).

Ask a Question