How often do you water veggies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a few plants watering on the same drip irrigation station: tomatoes, peas, kale, lettuce, strawberries, squash, a few flowers, etc..
What is the ideal frequency? I am thinking to water every 3 days for now and change it to every 2 days when it gets hotter.
I am adjusting duration regularly based on how the weather is.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
IMO, it is far better to let the plant(s) tell you when to water...rather than on some predetermined schedule.

Different plants have different watering needs in different types of soil. Observe and research their needs and you will have happier, more productive plants.

By the way, my garden plants just survived a stretch of torrential rains getting hammered with 43 inches of rain in 18 days. o_O No kidding.

Rain is expected again here Thursday.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm from South Australia. It's autumn here and we've had practically no rain for the season (4mm since February). Your irrigation frequency is about the same as mine.
I'm using micro sprinklers and give them about 15-20 minutes per session. You've got a good variety of plants there and it helps to have them mulched.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The best way to check is the same way that you check for an egg bound chicken. Stick your finger in there and see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm from South Australia. It's autumn here and we've had practically no rain for the season (4mm since February). Your irrigation frequency is about the same as mine.
I'm using micro sprinklers and give them about 15-20 minutes per session. You've got a good variety of plants there and it helps to have them mulched.
I like the idea of mulch, but I think that is increasing slugs. That's why I have not added mulch this season yet. Maybe I will add dried leaves (which I have saved from last fall for mulching) now that it's going to be in 80s for the next few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How's the drainage with your soil?

I am in the east bay (same growing zone), and I currently run 2 days a week on drip irrigation/sprinklers and supplement with hand watering. Though, I heartily agree with @Meadowlark and @YumYum that a schedule can only get you so far.

We ran our irrigation early one morning, checked the soil at the end of the next two days and determined when we needed the follow up. You will need to periodically check to see if your "schedule" needs updating as the weather changes. These days i usually at least peak at the soil every day, to help develop a bit of a feel for how the soil acts.

In the summer when it regularly gets to ~100+ and up to 110+, there are some stretches where we water every day and potted plants might need a pool party in their saucers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't trust my finger for moisture readings. I us an inexpensive moisture meter and it works just fine. I'm a big fan of wicking beds. The plants will get whatever water they want without worry of over or under watering. Just fill the reservoir once a week and forget it. I do have drip irrigation in most of my garden but that still requires monitoring. If you leave town for 3-4 days you don't have any control of it.

Ask a Question