How often I water my seedlings at indoors at winter?

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
How often I should I water my pine seedlings indoors at winter? Is it okey to water them once a day? Somestimes I touch the ground ifeels very dry the other day. Also is it okey to plants pine, spruce seeds at begging of march indoors?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please, post a pictures of the Pine seedlings and your growing area. It would be good to better understand their growing conditions.

As a general rule, Pine (Pinus) seedlings should be grown in well-drained soil and watered after the soil has partly dried.

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
I Keep them near the window the temperature at home is sometimes 17c to 19c. I water them once a day because when i touch them seems they are dry. The seedling Germinated some at August some in September. The seedlings are Pinus Ponderosa, Douglas Fir, Abies Nobilis procera, Picea Stichbes
20220203_105808.jpg
20220203_105821.jpg
20220203_105906.jpg
20220203_105913.jpg
20220203_105922.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your conifer seedlings look healthy. A fine selection of western North American species: Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa), Douglas-fir, (Pseudotsuga menziesii), Noble Fir (Abies procera), and Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensis).

Letting the soil appear partly dry before irrigating is the best method. Of course you don't want them to wilt or desiccate, but it appears that they are growing fine under your care. In Spring they can be potted up and moved outdoors.

Yes, you could certainly germinate more conifer seeds in Spring, if they have been properly cold-stratified.

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Yes I am planning to grow a pine forest or park and later by a land. So I try to sow all types of pines, spruces, but I am mostly interested in those that grow in North America. I am from Europe this pines are rare here. Some of the seeds I know where to buy, but some its very difficult to find even online that send it to Europe.

What do you think about this ones ? When should I pot them to bigger ones ? Because I had couple times I tried to pot them in bigger cup but they just died out.
20220203_105906.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
They do look ready to transplant, but you could let them get a little larger, if that will make them easier to handle. Transplanting seedling is a delicate operation. Try to do it as gently as you can, but there may be some losses.
In the future, to make trransplanting easier, you may want to plant them in a segmented seed tray or in individual seed pots.

Ask a Question