Do I have to keep the snake plant variety Sansevieria Trifasciata outdoors every so often?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hello there!

Be nice to me as I’m new here! Hehe.

I’m also relatively new about gardening although not as much as a couple of months before since I’ve been reading about them.

Like I know about the snake plant is a hardy plant that’s great for beginners! How it cleans air per NASA.

We just had a newly acquired snake plant, the variety Sansevieria Trifasciata, and this being a hardy plant that I intend to move it indoors as it’s currently outside.

The indoor location to which I intend to situate it is in the living room with a lot of windows, the nearest being approximately 15 feet.

My question is, can this plant be situated indoors its entire life or should it be moved outdoors every now and then?

Because my concern then about moving this often would be that the plant would have to adjust often with the change in the environment.

That's all for now.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hello there!

Be nice to me as I’m new here! Hehe.

I’m also relatively new about gardening although not as much as a couple of months before since I’ve been reading about them.

Like I know about the snake plant is a hardy plant that’s great for beginners! How it cleans air per NASA.

We just had a newly acquired snake plant, the variety Sansevieria Trifasciata, and this being a hardy plant that I intend to move it indoors as it’s currently outside.

The indoor location to which I intend to situate it is in the living room with a lot of windows, the nearest being approximately 15 feet.

My question is, can this plant be situated indoors its entire life or should it be moved outdoors every now and then?

Because my concern then about moving this often would be that the plant would have to adjust often with the change in the environment.

That's all for now.

Thanks.
Here I provide an illustration of the plant’s proposed location.

It’s definitely not in a dark corner as the living room is openly situated beside the veranda which is enclosed by windows, and so the plant being situated in the living room would receive much sunlight from the windows in the veranda, although the windows would be much farther away from the plant.

Attachments

• Gardening pic-proposed plant location.png
    Gardening pic-proposed plant location.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 74
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
First off - you have chosen an excellent beginner plant. I keep mine outside anytime the weather is good. Most of its growth comes during the periods it is left out. Just make sure you don’t let it freeze outside.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Thanks. I know though that it's a hardy plant that it's a hardy plant for beginners.
My question being that if I move it indoors as it's currently outside, can it stay indoors all throughout its life, or should I move it outside every so often for maintenance?
Because my concern when you do that is wouldn't it be harmful to the plant as it will always have to adjust for the changing conditions?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Great! Thanks!
But is my concern that valid?
Like if I let it be moved outside say monthly outside and stay there for a week, will that be harmful to the plant?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Great! That’s good to know then!

Also, about what you mentioned earlier that as long as it’s getting light, the plant location I intend to place this would be approximately 15 feet from the nearest window. But the area is filled with windows, so it’s not in a dark area. But it’s also not close to a window.

So it can stay in that spot for a lifetime without having a taste of the outdoors?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
And also, another question about its name being also known as mother-in-law’s sharp tongue which they say is very appropriate and the reason given is because of its upright leaves and I don’t get that at all. The way I understand it is because the typical mother-in-law would keep on speaking to her son-in-law/daughter-in-law to the point that she’s right all the time. so always upright. Is that it?

Ask a Question