How often do you water mint?

Reaction score
When I first planted mint, I read somewhere that you're supposed to water it a little daily, so I did. It wasn't growing well at all...Then I started skipping days here and there and it started growing better, but....it still doesn't look healthy. It seems to have "dry" leaves, not sure how to explain that...I'm afraid it will die soon...
How often do you water mint?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What type of mint? :)

Reaction score
I have a little plant called sweet mint. How often do you water sweet mint and peppermint? I've killed a couple of mint plants. Stop me before I kill again.

Reaction score
Mint wants but little water every day .... No excesses! Then very little sun and drained soil!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I water mine when the plant is droopy and wilted in the mornings. I give it a good soaking and wait for it to wilt in the morning again. Plants need oxygen at their roots and too much water too often will force the oxygen from the soil and will cause them to literally drown. You cannot water a plant too much but you can and will kill a plant if you water too often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I water mine every 3 or 4 days, right now it's really hot over here, so the water evaporates very fast. Better wait little bit and not over water the poor thing ;) In my experience most mints aren't too picky when it comes to watering, meaning if you over water once they're not likely to die. Jus try not to do it more than once ;)

Reaction score
I have four kinds of mint and a lemon balm plant and all are planted in direct sun and poor soil. I just water them when I think about it an all five plants are thriving. To survive me, a plant has to be determined to live and these seem to be determined.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I water my herbs whenever I notice that their soil is dry. Usually, I do it once every 3 or 4 days.
In the past, I used to water all plants in the house once a day. It was too much and it killed my roses:( I learned my lesson, I won't make the same mistake again.

Reaction score
I grow quite a variety of different types of mint and although our summers are extremely hot - I rarely find that I need to do anything other than - give them a really thorough watering once a week - as its only on the odd occasions when we have really strong hot winds combined with the heat - that they seem to need to be watered a little more often and even then its never less than every 4 - 5 days.

Reaction score
I generally prefer a little wet but every day, maintaining constant moisture without rotting the earth. Wet is not an exact science: it depends on the ground, exposure, temperature, etc. .... In the pot and 'even more difficult!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When one grows plants in a pot, especially a clay pot, the soil dries out much more rapidly than the same plant growing in the ground. I have basil and oregano growing in pots and in the ground. In pots I have to water at least twice as often as the plants in the ground. But the rule stays the same. If the plants in the pots are wilted in the morning hours they need water, if the plants in the ground are wilted in the morning they need watering. The plants in the ground need on the average watering about every 7 - 10 days. The plants in the pots about every 3 -5 days depending on the temp, humidity and wind. There is no rule or law as to when a plant needs to be watered. Plants need to be watered when they need to be watered, not watered by some kind of schedule. Is common sense extinct? Is it so hard to understand that you water a plant when it needs to be watered, not when you think you should water it.? I would not be surprised that more plants are killed by kindness than by neglect.

Reaction score
When one grows plants in a pot, especially a clay pot, the soil dries out much more rapidly than the same plant growing in the ground. I have basil and oregano growing in pots and in the ground. In pots I have to water at least twice as often as the plants in the ground. But the rule stays the same. If the plants in the pots are wilted in the morning hours they need water, if the plants in the ground are wilted in the morning they need watering. The plants in the ground need on the average watering about every 7 - 10 days. The plants in the pots about every 3 -5 days depending on the temp, humidity and wind. There is no rule or law as to when a plant needs to be watered. Plants need to be watered when they need to be watered, not watered by some kind of schedule. Is common sense extinct? Is it so hard to understand that you water a plant when it needs to be watered, not when you think you should water it.? I would not be surprised that more plants are killed by kindness than by neglect.

You're absolutely right. To experience my clients make the plants die because they drown. For those who do not have experience, and the advice I give 'it is better to pour a little water but more often, but every now and then with water.
A recipe does not exist!

Ask a Question