How often to change the water for no-soil plants ?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
for the plants indoors that have no soil but have roots - how often should we change the water ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing I can think of instantly like that is hyacinth bulbs, but it doesn't strike me as a one answer question. Presumably the plants use some water and get topped up from time to time, and there could well be things in the water they don't absorb, you probably wouldn't want calcium, for example, building up. That might happen with tap water, but if you were using rain water some sort of algal infection might be a more likely problem. Both those problems, however, should be fairly apparent, and as long as the water looks and smells clean I would be fairly happy, but others might be able to point out specific problems for particular plants, so it might be a good idea to specify what you are growing this way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is no set time. Judge by the health of the plant and appearance and odor of the water. If all looks good, it likely is so.

I've literally grown plant such as different as Syngonium podophyllum and Aspidistra elatior in glass vases of water for years. The only care is to ccasionally top up the water, and even more occasionally give just a splash of liquid fertilizer.
The same goes for Lucky 'Bamboo' (Dracaena braunii and/or D. sanderiana), which is now likely the most popular of all water-grown house plants.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There is no set time. Judge by the health of the plant and appearance and odor of the water. If all looks good, it likely is so.

I've literally grown plant such as different as Syngonium podophyllum and Aspidistra elatior in glass vases of water for years. The only care is to ccasionally top up the water, and even more occasionally give just a splash of liquid fertilizer.
The same goes for Lucky 'Bamboo' (Dracaena braunii and/or D. sanderiana), which is now likely the most popular of all water-grown house plants.
That is what I thought - however , my friends plants the same ones he gave me - Do terrible inside my place - until he told me I need to change the water every 2 days - this might explain why my leaves turned yellow.
Also almost all the plants u think only survive in potted soil plants - he can grow & keep alive in glass jars & vases . After being fed up with changing them every 2 days - I decided to plant them outside - spider plants & sword plants - I'll keep u posted if they improve outside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keeping plants alive in water is an interesting phenomenon and can be a lovely effect in the right spot, but I don't consider it an improvement over planting in soil. Most container plants will still grow faster and fuller when cultivated. in a nutrient-rich and well-drained soil mix, except for truly obligate aquatic plants, of course.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You lucky person, we have summers when they would have trouble surviving outside, though of course it is your summer now. Today was miserable and cold with drizzle and mist all day, frost forecast for Tuesday, Brrrr.

Ask a Question