Indoor plants durring spring, what should I expect?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey guys, so I started my indoor gardening hobby last year in the middle of summer. For the first few months I only had a couple of plants. Now I have 4 Boston ferns, 4 agave, 2 asparagus ferns, 2 aloes, 1 pathos, 1 pachira, 1 dragonfruit, and 1 mango. I've only gotten to see how they reacted to winter/fall and I'm super excited to see how they behave in spring/summer. Should I expect a bunch of fabulous bushy new growth this coming spring or is that a little bit too much? My mango tree isn't doing too good, I wanna blame it on the winter. It has not grown in awhile, the leaves have been slowly turning dry and brown. I know mango trees HATE the cold, so should I expect it to recover through spring? California gets so damn cold in the winter, but it's also extremely hot in the summers. The average temperature in the summer is 90 degrees and winter is about 50.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think it's sort of cute you consider an average of 50 "damn cold." :LOL:

Anyway, I think you'll see a growth spurt with your plants; maybe not dramatic but most plants go a bit dormant in winter, even indoor plants in temperate climates.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hey guys, so I started my indoor gardening hobby last year in the middle of summer. For the first few months I only had a couple of plants. Now I have 4 Boston ferns, 4 agave, 2 asparagus ferns, 2 aloes, 1 pathos, 1 pachira, 1 dragonfruit, and 1 mango. I've only gotten to see how they reacted to winter/fall and I'm super excited to see how they behave in spring/summer. Should I expect a bunch of fabulous bushy new growth this coming spring or is that a little bit too much? My mango tree isn't doing too good, I wanna blame it on the winter. It has not grown in awhile, the leaves have been slowly turning dry and brown. I know mango trees HATE the cold, so should I expect it to recover through spring? California gets so damn cold in the winter, but it's also extremely hot in the summers. The average temperature in the summer is 90 degrees and winter is about 50.
Would love to see a photo of your indoor dragon fruit. I don't seem to be able to grow indoor plants very successfully except for aspadistra. Even supposedly fool proof indoor plants like the rubber plant. I had to rehous mine on the erandah under cover and is coming good.now. I do believe its the central heating i the cooler months and the absurdly hot house in summer:eek:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Would love to see a photo of your indoor dragon fruit. I don't seem to be able to grow indoor plants very successfully except for aspadistra. Even supposedly fool proof indoor plants like the rubber plant. I had to rehous mine on the erandah under cover and is coming good.now. I do believe its the central heating i the cooler months and the absurdly hot house in summer:eek:.

Here's a pic, I've had it for exactly a month. I don't know if it's doing well or not but it's skinniest arm has doubled in length since I got it and it's even growing out those weird tendril things so hopefully that's a good sign. The only plants I've killed were a Cala Lilly and I still have no idea why it died.

Attachments

• IMG_20170222_134257.jpg
    IMG_20170222_134257.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think it's sort of cute you consider an average of 50 "damn cold." :LOL:

Anyway, I think you'll see a growth spurt with your plants; maybe not dramatic but most plants go a bit dormant in winter, even indoor plants in temperate climates.
Haha yeah, we're so used to the heat that we completely die when the temperature drops below 70.

Ask a Question