Seeds and kitty litter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
well this year have decided to start a lot of my flowers from seed packets to save money .I got most of the seed packets at the dollar store 10 for 1 dollar .They really have some interesting flowers and veggies in those packets and found so far that kitty litter is working out great to start seeds in .I use my old saved pots and then have them all setting in an old concrete mixing tub with water in it .Seems the kitty litter just wicks the water up and is a pretty good growing medium to start plants .I mixed in liquid fertilizer in the water in the concrete tub and so far so good .Seeds are coming up really well .I also have used the kitty litter to start llots of cuttings from .I used rooting hormone and so far have had success in rooting artemesia and dusty miller .I used a bag of cheap dollar store kitty litter 10lbs. for a dollar .I laso added some perlite I already had to make the kitty litter go farther .

j.w

Reaction score
Neat idea sissy! Is that kitty litter from the dollar store pure clay? Cuz that is even cheaper than the Wally's Special Kitty brand.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
yep says just says 100% clay and comes in a blue bag .It is working so far for starting seeds and plants and got some more seeds yesterday at the dollar store and more litter .I have to go out to the shed to get more pots .I'm glad I saved so many now .

j.w

Reaction score
I have tons of pots that I have saved also. I'm gonna check and see if our dollar stores carry that cheap kitty litter. Glad the seed are working in it for ya!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
wow just got back from NC and did i score dream legacy lily and chocolate lily 2 bulbs in each bag and wyoming canna and mixed canna5 bulbs in each bag and at lowes clearanced out for 2 dollars a bag ,some already growing through the bag .i also got elepahnt ears 5 in the bag for 2 dollars and phlox was 50 cents for a nine pack

j.w

Reaction score
Whoo hoo lucky you! Bet it's not that way here at our Lowes! I was there just last week and nothing was on clearance that I could find!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The only one of lowes that I found that has ever done that is the lowes in Reidsville NC the lowes in VA suck big time and never do that .I went to NC to save my neighbor as her car died over there and she didn't know how to get home so went to pick her up and asked if she minded me stopping .Well win for her and win win for me .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
meant to tell you also lowes now sells another brand of those hoses and it was in the garden center and came in lime green and was only 19.99 .I bought one to try it out compared to the other one .See if the cost is worth the first one I bought

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
so far used it a lot today and it was kinked but as soon as the water was turned on the kink worked it's way out all by itself .50 ft is not very long though

Attachments

• pee house pond 2012 029.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 029.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 423
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
bleeding heart I did 4 of them from a neighbors plant in the kitty litter with rooting hormone and the pan of water on the bottom so it can wick up water as needed .

Ask a Question