Seeds and kitty litter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I never had luck with just water they would just rot ,Don't know why but never had the best of luck with them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No way! I wish I had found this thread sooner! I am ready to get in my car and drive to Dollar Tree this instant to buy kitty litter so I can try this! I would say 85% of the cuttings I tried to root this year have failed. I have rooted a few things in water, but they don't always transplant well - like may passion flower. (Basil is easy peazy and transplants fine).

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would never have thought of rooting plants in kitty litter, what a good idea. I will be getting some to start some new plants in. Thanks for the idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would never have thought of rooting plants in kitty litter, what a good idea. I will be getting some to start some new plants in. Thanks for the idea.

It has not worked for me yet, but I have just started using willow water, and so far so good. i have some cuttings that look today the way they did the day they were stuck. Some have wilted and are no longer that green, but others are perfectly fine. So excited about this and have been experimenting with different plants to see which root easiest with the willow water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What a great idea, thanks for posting. While potting soil isn't that expensive, the kitty litter is much cheaper, and everything I save on potting soil can then be spent on seeds!! Every little bit helps, when you're on a budget. Plus, we recently moved to a newly constructed house, and there was absolutely NO landscaping at all, so I have a lot of space to fill up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a great idea and litter is cheap as long as you do not get the kind with chemicals. I do not have a dollar store around me, but it is sold for less than $2 a bag at Fred Meyer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What a great idea, thanks for posting. While potting soil isn't that expensive, the kitty litter is much cheaper, and everything I save on potting soil can then be spent on seeds!! Every little bit helps, when you're on a budget. Plus, we recently moved to a newly constructed house, and there was absolutely NO landscaping at all, so I have a lot of space to fill up.

I mentioned this to my FB plant swap group and someone made the point of kitty litter basically being clay so when it's wet it's going to be a gooey mess. It may also be hard to regulate moisture, but if you try this and you are successful, please let the rest of us know exactly what you did step by step.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a good point about the potential gooey mess. I am going to give it a try anyhow and see what happens. Perhaps there will be less of a mess if you use less water. It seems that the clay would retain the water and so there would be less chance that the seeds would dry out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is a good point about the potential gooey mess. I am going to give it a try anyhow and see what happens. Perhaps there will be less of a mess if you use less water. It seems that the clay would retain the water and so there would be less chance that the seeds would dry out.

I don't know. I tried sticking a cutting in kitty litter without good results. Starting seeds isn't that hard if you know what conditions are needed, but I was more interested in using the litter for cuttings. I'm using willow water now and my own soil mix and having better results so I haven't tried kitty litter again. I have been thinking of using it to make a seed warmer for starting seeds instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First of all, I didn't know kitty litter is good for the garden. I gave away a huge bag since our bunny died a week ago. This will be something for me to keep in mind. Secondly, I paid a dollar for four packages of flower seeds from the Dollar Store, so you did get a great deal. :) Thanks for sharing your idea, as this will save me some money by using kitty litter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is great lowes sells it for 12.99 for a huge bag it swells up and holds moisture and I not only used it on my bare spots on the lawn with grass seed that came up in 4 days it is great in potted plants .It feeds and retains the moisture in them .I mixed it in the potting soil

Attachments

• pond a grass seed accerator 006.JPG
    pond a grass seed accerator 006.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 292
  • pond a grass seed accerator 010.JPG
    pond a grass seed accerator 010.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kitty litter? Really? I would never had thought of that. I was planning on buying some seeds soon and I have a cat so if I can save on potting soil by using kitty litter then that would be pretty amazing. It looks like I'm going to have to go to the dollar store later today and try this out. Thanks for sharing!

Ask a Question