Sunflower seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did I harvest too early and are these seeds viable? The flower was wilting so I figured it was time to harvest the seeds. But they look a little small. Should have asked before attempting to harvest.
IMG_20181111_095020589.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Were the seeds in the flower head all the same color and basically the same size? If so then the seeds are probably viable. Why not plant a couple and see if they germinate. Better to find out for sure now than to wait.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Were the seeds in the flower head all the same color and basically the same size? If so then the seeds are probably viable. Why not plant a couple and see if they germinate. Better to find out for sure now than to wait.
What you see is all there was, it's a smaller variety, about two feet tall. They seem smaller than what I remember planting, but I suppose it's ready enough to try a few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What you see is all there was, it's a smaller variety, about two feet tall. They seem smaller than what I remember planting, but I suppose it's ready enough to try a few.
Since you have already harvested the seeds they will not get any better so what do you have to lose? Pick a couple at random, plant them and store the rest in an envelope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This was a flower my 5yo grew. He brought the seeds home as party of a Sunday school lesson. He helped water and take care of it and I promised him we could get more seeds from it and grow even more flowers need year. So it they aren't viable I'm going to have to make a switch in secret!

Ask a Question