First seeds sprouted on the Moon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Seeds have sprouted on the moon for the first time ever! Previously astronauts have grown plants in low Earth orbit, but this is the first time that seeds have been grown on a celestial body that is not Earth. It was done by China's Chang-e 4 lander, and you can read more about it here:

China's Moon mission sees first seeds sprout

"Learning about these plants' growth in a low-gravity environment would allow us to lay the foundation for our future establishment of space base."

He said cotton could eventually be used for clothing while the potatoes could be a food source for astronauts and the rapeseed for oil.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's an interesting experiment but I wonder how it will progress as the plants grow. Potting on is one hurdle that comes to mind.

As far as I know the lander doesn't have sufficient temperature control to keep them from freezing during the lunar night, so this experiment was just to see if the sees would sprout when watered. Interesting none the less! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Becky. It's a start and I wonder how they will progress with the knowledge gained. A greenhouse up there next perhaps? :D

I'm not sure, the Chinese aren't particularly forthcoming with information - certainly not publicly. Apparently they are sharing data with NASA though, so that's good to hear.

Anyone here watched The Martian?! :LOL:

Ask a Question