Salvia - what have you got in your selections? What other plants are on your hit list?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Salvia Uliginosa

Greggii Ultra violet blurred

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We make an annual visit to Great Comp Gardens near Sevenoaks, a lovely garden and a good collection of salvias for sale.

Salvia Ugilinosa , called by my missus 'Ugly noser' is a favourite, also 'Mulberry Jam'.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi this is a cutting from my Salvia Amistad propagated in September, does anyone know if it'll be OK?? Had it in a greenhouse but was very cold outside. -2

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't look very happy, but on the other hand it looks as though it has established itself. I would say as long as the pot didn't freeze through and freeze the roots it stands a good chance of coming back with a bit of warmer weather, and it takes quite a bit to freeze right through a pot.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
cheers and in the spring will there be new growth from the base of the plant or will the plant continue to grow as is??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
depends on how bad the damage is, but those leaves are still hanging on there. I have an angel's trumpet that drops all its leaves and dies down every year. Some winters the stalks remain alive and it will shoot eighteen inches above ground, others it is only new growth from the roots and the first inch of stalk and the upper part dies back. I just don't know until it happens, and I think you are in the same position. So much of gardening is patience and wait and see.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of very hardy ones now;
Salvia glutinosa...............
View attachment 48715

It can get big though...............
View attachment 48714

I left Salvia forsskaolii behind when I moved but I've started seeds off this year................
View attachment 48712

View attachment 48711

View attachment 48713
This is what I believe i have I got some seeds from a garden and had it for years in deep clay! in Surrey in previous property. I visited "robins" salvias in Bagehot surrey a real expert he's on "Bagshot sand" though I was on knaphill clay it's one of the few salvias that actually thrived in clay.

Ask a Question