Agastaches and salvia....your favourites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I grow a few agastaches and salvias here in mild Cornwall.
Agastache Black Adder is well known but I grow the pink Sangria, the orange Tangerine, and most of the newer Kudos varieties like Mandarin, Gold, Coral and Yellow. Love them all. Anyone growing other varities of these hummingbird plants.
Salvias! Amistad, Waverley, Leucanthemum, love and wishes, Embers Wish, etc. to the tuberous patens varieties including Guanajuato.
For summer long flowering, good pest resistantance, wonderful colours and aromatic foliage you cannot beat agastaches and salvias :)
Who grows them? And do you co-ordinate them with other plants?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
First year growing salvias verdun, I have Sclarea "Turkestanica" white or off white for my new border

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As you know I've been taken by Black Adder but will be looking for an orange at Hampton Court this year. The fact that slugs are put off by the smell of the foliage is a massive bonus for me too. I'll be looking out for Salvia Guanajuato also. Is Ember's Wish more of a red or an orange? My Salvia Ostriesland flowered from June-November last year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Mark. :) Embers Wish is a red. In front of Helenium Moreheim Beauty here, which is mostly orange, it looks good. Much more compact than Amistad at about 4'
Guanajuato is fabulous......colour is a true blue. Makes a great impact....last year it set off dahlia Clare de Lune brilliantly. Tender though....prob most tender of all the salvias.
I think Agastache Tangerine is prob best orange along with Kudos Mandarin ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lollipop, nice salvia. There is a good white patens variety, White
Trophy. Plus Waverley. Bigger with white with purplish tones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nice to know cheers :) I'm going to Wisley Spring Plant Fair tomorrow, should be a nice day. What are your favourite hardy geraniums?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rozanne, of course, Elke is delightful. Orion too. Ann Folkhard here flowers all summer on a sprawling plant.....magenta flowers and the leaves have a yellow cast on them. I love Black Beauty....compact purple black foliage and gentian blue flowers. The old Wargrave Pink is still good too...more evergreen. And Melinda is nice, more uprght. Got a good double white that I think Is called Coombland White.
For length of flowering though Rozanne on good soil is superb.....here one plant occupies 2 metres across and a metre high smothered with blue flowers. I have it next to an equally large hackonechloa and they look so good together. Will post a picture
Have fun at Wisley ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put in a salvia plant that looks similar to the one pictured above. It's indigenous to the area and the hummers love them. The plus is local deer population won't eat them like they do almost everything else. The leaves have a wonderful aroma too.

Ask a Question