Trilogy of Salvia

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have tried several different plants in this pot but so far nothing has worked. It is a feature so really need to look pretty good I think:cool:. From memory the first plant I tried was an echium and I looove echiums but the brownish leaves at the base just didn't come up to scratch for me:confused:. I can't remember the next experiment but the last one was an Australian native which really looked very sad. I decided on a Tibouchina but forgot my plan when i went in search:rolleyes:. The very helpful woman at one of the nurseries I frequent suggested this combo of salvias, all with different leaf shapes and colour and flowers which also flower at different stages in the season. The Velour Pink grows is the tallest, 1 to 1.5 metres, and the Love and Wishes, with purple flowers and Black & Bloom, with purple and black flowers, to about 80 cm. It will ofcourse get a bit over crowded so I'll have to address that but it should look pretty spectacular for a while(y). And plenty of cuttings.:D
rps20161109_180146.jpg
I've just realized I have planted the tallest growing in the front because it is the smallest NOW!
I'm not keen on seeing the tanks behind so I am thinking of trellis to fill the gaps, painted to match ofcourse..... always another project on the boil:whistle:. Keeps me out of mischief :LOL:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It looks lovely! (y)

You could always rotate the planter if the front one ends up obscuring the others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful! (y) I'm envious of that warm sunshine, I'm sat here at my PC wrapped up in about a millions layers. Brrr!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Salvia is a diverse and beautiful group of garden-worthy plants. This genus in the Mint Family (Lamiaceae) includes more-or -ess one thousand species, with some native to every continent, except Antarctica.

The three cultivars pictured above are:

Salvia leucantha 'Pink Velour'. The species is an evergreen shrub native to Mexico and central America. The most common 'wild type' displays woolly, purple calyces and white corollas (hence 'leucantha'), but there are a number of cultivars that provide variations on this theme. Salvia leucantha 'Pink Velour' has woolly, white calyces and deep pink corollas

Salvia x 'Ser-wish', commonly sold as Love and Wishes™ Salvia is a darker-pigmented chance sport of another hybrid: Salvia x 'Wendy's Wish', which is itself considered to be a chance cross between two Mexican species, Salvia buchananii and Salvia chiapensis, though there is debate about this. Both cultivars have deep pink corollas and were found in Australian gardens, but are now grown worldwide.

Salvia guaranitica 'Black & Bloom' is a patented cross of two other non-patented cultivars: S. guaranitica 'Costa Rican Blue'
and S. guaranitica 'Black and Blue'. Whether this newer cultivar, with black calyces and blue corollas like both its parents, is truly 'improved' or just proprietary is another point to debate. The species Salvia guaranitica is native to northern Argentina, southern Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay, with calyces that range from green to black and corollas that range from white to deep blue.

Last edited:

Ask a Question