Salvia - what have you got in your selections? What other plants are on your hit list?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 7/RHS H5
Country
United Kingdom
Salvia gesneriiflora..................

It's a winter blooming species from Mexico. What that means in the UK is that you need to keep it frost free over the winter, but cool enough to stop it blooming (the short daylight hours make it a poor winter bloomer) so that it actually blooms in the spring.
It is actually very hardy and has come back from minus six but obviously you lose the bloom season if that happens.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope @trail twister reads your classification as it sheds light on the classifications of plants. Actually, I'm lucky to have come across the names as now supermarkets don't even bother to give you named variety - they just say camellia and that's your luck! Some indoor plants are just labelled as foliage. Thank you for the info!

HarryS

Eternally Optimistic Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8B+
Country
United Kingdom
I'm something of a Salvia obsessive and currently have about fifty and over the years I can probably add another hundred that I've lost or discarded. I mostly stick to species but I do have some cultivars and hybrids.

My absolute favourite hardy Salvia is a Chinese species - S.dolichantha....................
@longk , I thought I would find you on this thread :) How many Salvia types do you have approx ?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Salvia gesneriiflora..................
View attachment 48601

View attachment 48600

It's a winter blooming species from Mexico. What that means in the UK is that you need to keep it frost free over the winter, but cool enough to stop it blooming (the short daylight hours make it a poor winter bloomer) so that it actually blooms in the spring.
It is actually very hardy and has come back from minus six but obviously you lose the bloom season if that happens.

Simply stunning!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@longk , I thought I would find you on this thread :) How many Salvia types do you have approx ?

Is he the expert on one of the GW's episode. If not, we can do something about it! Probably a discourse on Salvias as J Dyson is worried about being put out of business when Carol K said it was very easy to take cuttings! LOL! She was dead right. Cuttings take in no time!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Longk, I too could be obsessive about salvias. Wow! 50 varieties! I will add a couple more so look forward to your pics ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 7/RHS H5
Country
United Kingdom
Todays offering is actually in bloom in the greenhouse at the moment - Salvia coerulea.............

It is the easiest of the winter bloomers to grow and it grows ferociously fast as well. It also starts blooming in the winter and will continue until late May/early June.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Todays offering is actually in bloom in the greenhouse at the moment - Salvia coerulea.............
View attachment 48629

It is the easiest of the winter bloomers to grow and it grows ferociously fast as well. It also starts blooming in the winter and will continue until late May/early June.
View attachment 48630
It's nice longk but not so striking to me as your other one...as that's a proper eye catcher ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 7/RHS H5
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of very hardy ones now;
Salvia glutinosa...............

It can get big though...............

I left Salvia forsskaolii behind when I moved but I've started seeds off this year................

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 7/RHS H5
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of my favourite annual Salvia now;
S.splendens 'Yvonnes Giant' is quite unlike those nasty little bedding forms of S.splendens that you buy from garden centres. It can reach two metres in height and is many branched too.............

Salvia algeriensis by contrast only grows to about half a metre at most. Very nice though............

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@longk Love that Salvia algeriensis ! A bit pastely. Never seen it before! Where did you buy the seed/plant please?

And would love to know your camera model and make please!

Ask a Question