Ponytail Palm Placement

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a Beaucarnea recurvata (Ponytail Palm) as seen in the pics. My intention is to plant it in the half circle planter bed which is also seen in the pics. The distance from the exterior wall of the house to the outermost edge of the planter is approximately 6 feet. Currently, the tree is 6 feet tall from the base of the caudex (12 inches in diameter) to the top of the foliage. My concern is the caudex and the potential damage it could cause the house should it get too big. I've read online that they can get as big as 12 feet in diameter but I've also read these grow very slowly. Do you think I will be okay planting it as planned?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @rexus31! :)

I live in a very different climate to you, so I'm going to leave this one to people who know more!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sure is a pretty plant, but I live in the colder climate and haven't seen anyone has this in their yard. I remember my dad used to tell us that if you're planting shrubs and trees; make sure to planted far away from the house because the root can travel underneath the house and can crack the foundation.

Sorry I am no help :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went ahead and planted it. I think it will take many, many years for it to grow into a problem, if it ever does. My only concern is, we are forecasted for El Nino here on the West Coast this winter which means we are expecting a lot of rain; which is good because we need it but these do not like a lot of water. I suppose I could tarp the bed if I needed to.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, it's been almost 4 years since I planted this beauty and it is doing quite well.

I changed photo hosting sites since I planted it so for reference, here is a pic the day I planted it.
48463560662_1f18a4e4d1_b.jpg

Here it is today:
48463402831_c20de3ef8e_b.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Ponytail Palm makes for an excellent ornamental accent in any location because of its interesting form and striking appearance. It can grow to be quite large outdoors, up to 30 feet, but it doesn’t reach higher than 6 feet indoors. As these plants are exceptionally slow growers, gardeners are unlikely to see the plant reach its ultimate height within a few years.

Ask a Question