Ponytail palm damaged in freeze

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had a two day freeze here in Houston about a month ago that was colder than anticipated and I failed to adequately protect my ponytail palm. It got damaged by the freeze pretty severely. I cut off the damaged "leaves" and it seems to still be alive, the top isn't mushy or anything, but it now has about a dozen sprouts coming out of the base. I really would like to keep it a one headed plant, but am not entirely sure that the top will resprout. Any tips on how I should proceed? I have posted a few pictures of its current state.

Attachments

• IMG_6840.JPG
    IMG_6840.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,135
  • IMG_6841.JPG
    IMG_6841.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • IMG_6839.JPG
    IMG_6839.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,004
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you think I can just cut off the new sprouts at the baseto prevent them from turning into new heads?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Do you think I can just cut off the new sprouts at the baseto prevent them from turning into new heads?

Yes you can cut them or break them off .
I leave my sago palm out side in the winter , it dies back and comes back in the spring

Reaction score
Country
United States

Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata)​

Native to the forests of Belize, Guatemala, and southeastern Mexico, the Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) can be grown indoors or outdoors in most parts of the world. It is also known as Elephant Foot Tree for its swollen caudex (stem base) that resembles an elephant’s foot. The Ponytail Palm makes for an excellent ornamental accent in any location because of its interesting form and striking appearance. It can grow to be quite large outdoors, up to 30 feet, but it doesn’t reach higher than 6 feet indoors. As these plants are exceptionally slow growers, gardeners are unlikely to see the plant reach its ultimate height within a few years.

Here is comprehensive take taking guide:

Ask a Question