Ponytail palm

Reaction score
The ponytail palm plant is a gorgeous plant that can be used as an indoor or outdoor plant. I believe the only way it can be used as an outdoor plant is you must live in a place where it doesn't go below freezing in the winter.

Nolina_recurvata-Pony_Tail_Palm-1.jpg

Here's a lovely indoor ponytail palm .. I have one a home, not as big and not as beautiful, but it's getting there. The ponytail palms can grow to a height of 10 feet. It stores its moisture in the trunk so it doesn't need to be watered as much. Ponytail palms require lots of sunlight to put it next to a window.

ponytail-palm.jpg

Reaction score
It does look beautiful. I haven't seen the likes of a ponytail palm here.. It should be there.. maybe I haven't really looked around. Thanks for posting this interesting information.
I found some pretty palms... they sure look interesting and beautiful.. take a look.
licuala_cordata_001[1].gif

JohannesteijsmanniaAltafrons02-02082008A%20(Large).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Ponytail palms are so pretty!:) This is the first time I see them, they don't grow in my climate zone as we have very cold winters here. I could grow it, it looks so interesting!

I found this picture, I can imagine this palm on my windowsill:

beaucarnea.jpg

But I have no idea what would I do if it grew this big:p :

Beaucarnea_recurvata1.jpg

Reaction score
Ponytail palms are so pretty!:) This is the first time I see them, they don't grow in my climate zone as we have very cold winters here. I could grow it, it looks so interesting!

But I have no idea what would I do if it grew this big:p :

Beaucarnea_recurvata1.jpg

If you had a Ponytail Palm that grew that big you would have grown to love it so much that you would definitely find a way to keep it .. I found a video where a guy has a large palm in his greenhouse, at the beginning of the video he says that it took 3 guys to put the palm on a truck to deliver it ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
3 guys? Wow, that's an enormous palm. The grower definitely has a green thumb:D
This palm is pretty, it looks so exotic:

Ponytail-Palm-landscape.jpg

Reaction score
3 guys? Wow, that's an enormous palm. The grower definitely has a green thumb:D
This palm is pretty, it looks so exotic:

Ponytail-Palm-landscape.jpg
That's a gorgeous ponytail palm, never seen one that big and beautiful. Every time I see a good looking plant like that, I want to go out and find one exactly like it .. From the looks of this one, you can tell that it's at least 10 years old, if not older.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree, this picture is inspiring:) . I couldn't grow a palm like this in my area though because winters here are very cold and the only way to grow exotic plants is to grow them indoors. And my house is not nearly big enough:p

Reaction score
I look at the picture of the Ponytail Palm's above, then I look at the one that I have sitting on the shelf on my desk and it's like a little bitty baby compared to those. It is growing, and will need to be re-potted soon because right now it's in a very small pot. In a year or so, it will be a gorgeous plant.

This is not my ponytail palm but it's about the same size, the base, or the bulb is not as big as the one pictured, and I have three bulbs, or three ponytails in one small pot ..

PonytailPalm2_100102.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a gorgeous plant:D . I'd like to grow a Ponytail Palm too. What will you do with your palm when it'll be really big? Will you plant it somewhere outside or you'll look for a large container and keep it indoors?

Reaction score
It's a gorgeous plant:D . I'd like to grow a Ponytail Palm too. What will you do with your palm when it'll be really big? Will you plant it somewhere outside or you'll look for a large container and keep it indoors?
I just took a picture of my ponytail palm (see image below). As you can see, I have a long way to go before it's too large for the house. At least 3-4 years, if not longer. I'll probably always keep it indoors because I get 4 seasons where I live and I don't believe it would do well outside. Actually it would be much larger but for about 6 months, for some reason, I was trimming the plant (trying for a new look) all over. When the palms would grow, I would trim it again. Looking back, it made absolutely no sense for me to do that. At this point the "ponytails" would be long like the picture I posted above, the difference would be that I have a "ponytail palm colony" (3 bulbs instead of 1 bulb). At the rate it's growing though, it will look much prettier in a few months .. I'll post pictures in a few months ..

There have been many times in the past when I have said, "OK, you have no more room for plants, don't buy anymore." But I end up rescuing someone's plant, or I will see one that I just can't pass up. The past year or so, I've not bought very many, I have been rooting plants that I already have to create new ones.

my-pt-plant.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your ponytail palm is so pretty! It looks very healthy. And these 3 bulbs are so cute:D
I'm saying all the time to myself: "OK, you have no more room for plants, you shouldn't ask your boyfriend for more miniature roses"...but I just can't help myself:p

Reaction score
Country
United States

Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata)​

Native to the forests of Belize, Guatemala, and southeastern Mexico, the Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) can be grown indoors or outdoors in most parts of the world. It is also known as Elephant Foot Tree for its swollen caudex (stem base) that resembles an elephant’s foot. The Ponytail Palm makes for an excellent ornamental accent in any location because of its interesting form and striking appearance. It can grow to be quite large outdoors, up to 30 feet, but it doesn’t reach higher than 6 feet indoors. As these plants are exceptionally slow growers, gardeners are unlikely to see the plant reach its ultimate height within a few years.

Here is comprehensive take taking guide:

Ask a Question