Any chance for saving this Ponytail Plant?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This Ponytail plant is quite old but doesn't look the size it should. It's about 2 feet tall and quite thin.
There are two smaller plants growing from it at the base. I had to trim the leaves as they were light brown at the tip. It has sunlight by a window that faces south (The sheet in the photograph is not normally there, just to make the plant clearer in the photo). I water it every 10 days.
Any chance for saving it? What's causing the stunted growth? Thanks in advance!
IMG_8016.JPG
Ponytail1.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
When I saw your palm it reminded me to water mine.
My pony tail is neglected during the summer and stays on the back porch .
I'm sure it would grow a lot better out side , with more water and sunshine

Reaction score
Country
Canada
When I saw your palm it reminded me to water mine.
My pony tail is neglected during the summer and stays on the back porch .
I'm sure it would grow a lot better out side , with more water and sunshine
:D Hope yours begins to thrive again! Thanks for the reply... When I bought it, they told me that since it normally grows in a desert, it doesn't need a lot of water. So I watered it every 10 days as the soil needed it. How frequently does it need water? I'd lift it outside if it weren't that heavy (large planter and can't re-pot it at the moment). It's right next to a window that does get a lot of south-facing sunshine though. Is there a chance at it making a comeback?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Its hard to tell, but it looks like that pot might be too small. The small plants at the base support this - I dont know about ponytail plants but lots of plant "pup"s start popping up once the plant is old enough and rootbound.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Its hard to tell, but it looks like that pot might be too small. The small plants at the base support this - I dont know about ponytail plants but lots of plant "pup"s start popping up once the plant is old enough and rootbound.
Thanks for your thoughts! I transplanted it about 3 years ago to a bigger pot (17 inches across by 14 inches tall).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Years ago when I lived in Fortlauderdale I would see some giant pony tail palms planted in the ground with bases almost as big as a VW bug.
I would say they like heat water and sun

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Years ago when I lived in Fortlauderdale I would see some giant pony tail palms planted in the ground with bases almost as big as a VW bug.
I would say they like heat water and sun
Wow! I wish I could lift it downstairs and plant it outside. The snow would kill it though;)

Reaction score
Country
United States

Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata)​

Native to the forests of Belize, Guatemala, and southeastern Mexico, the Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) can be grown indoors or outdoors in most parts of the world. It is also known as Elephant Foot Tree for its swollen caudex (stem base) that resembles an elephant’s foot. The Ponytail Palm makes for an excellent ornamental accent in any location because of its interesting form and striking appearance. It can grow to be quite large outdoors, up to 30 feet, but it doesn’t reach higher than 6 feet indoors. As these plants are exceptionally slow growers, gardeners are unlikely to see the plant reach its ultimate height within a few years.

Here is comprehensive take taking guide:

Ask a Question