Sago palm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have inherited a sago palm growing in my back garden. It has yellow fronds which I have pruned close to the stem just as I did last spring. This year, it is mid-April, and I have not seen any new fronds emerging. How late in the spring in Zone 8 should I expect to wait? I worry it may be damaged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I also inherited a two sago palms from my neighbor. Some of the leaves have turned yellow and I see many around my area with yellow leaves, yet they still live on...

I don't know how they do in zone 8, but here in zone 9a many of them have yellow leaves and they take a very long time to replace those leave with new growth, because it's a very slow-growing plant. I have mine in a perfect area with respect to sun/shade and soil and it has yellow leaves that just stay for a very long time. I don't bother pruning it, I just let it go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. That helps. I value the plant. It adds a tropical look along with my ferns and banana tree. It also contributes to the diversification of our garden.

N

No Green Thumb Here

I have one and it seems like it doesn’t grow at all. It’s been in the ground for 30 years and it has never even shown what sex it is. I ride around town and I see them everywhere showing their sex. North East Florida

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They don’t do anything fast except grow a new set of leaves. It takes a loooooooong time for them to bloom. Unless you’re trying to grow more from seed, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My sago grows new leaves every other season , clip the yellow limbs off to help boost new growth , my sago as spawned 2 pups also . I use a well balanced fertilizer and no yellow leaves for me in north Florida

Ask a Question