Paw paws or Cornellian cherry for the partly sunny front yard?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all. Please see the numbered photo below, which shows the front of my house, facing between north and north-west. That dead pine on the right, which died in a February cold snap (zone 7a) last year, gave me an excuse for my edible landscaping agenda. That rectangle under the window (shown by the red lines) is about 6 by 20 feet. I have ordered two grafted paw paws and two grafted Cornelian cherry trees (2 for cross-pollination). I am wondering which pair is the better candidate to be planted in the rectangle. Whichever tree I decide, I will plant one in place of the dead pine and the other in place of #3 in the photo or the useless shrub to its side. My main question is about the sun requirements of paw paw vs Cornelian cherry. That area gets no sun until about 1 pm, to about 4 -5 pm during growing season. When that cherry in front grows, there will be less sun in the back but I'm planning to keep it less than 7 ft tall and wide.

In terms of preference for the fruits, I slightly prefer paw paws but much prefer the yellow look of Cornelian cherry. They are so ornamental.

Also, note that there is that dead apricot place (#4) that is available, too. Spot #5 can host a tree as well, while still being at least 5 ft from everything (it may not look like that in the photo).
But when I imagine it, I think the symmetry of having two similar trees in a straight line on the sides of that window is going to look desirable (I have several other trees that need a spot anyway (medlar, jujube, pear, apricot, etc.)).

So, which one would you go with according to the sunlight situation? Paw paws or Cornelian cherry?

20240312_233811340_iOS.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Among plenty of other things I grow sweet cherries, sour cherries and pawpaws. I have no idea what the particular cherry you are refering to so mentioned both types of cherries.

If you want minimum problems and minimum maintenance I would go with the pawpaws. In general pawpaws prefer shady areas when young. I dont find it absolutley necessary to spray them. I do it rarely when spraying my other fruit trees. They seem slow to grow and produce fruit at least for me.

Sweet cherries have plenty of insect, fungal and bacterial problems that need constant maintenance. As far as sour cherries they are easier to grow but the taste is not there. I had 5 varities and only 1 is OK.

Good luck!

MOD

Ask a Question