17 August 2021 Asimina triloba (Paw Paw)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

17 August 2021 Asimina triloba,(Paw Paw)​

Posted on August 17, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/August 2021/17 August 2021 Asimina triloba,(Paw Paw)/HTML/ 17 August 2021 Asimina triloba,(Paw Paw)
Asimina triloba,(Paw Paw) is producing some fruit, I assumed the frost in Spring damaged all the flowers, apparently not. There are two trees and some fruit on each.
dsc_6351_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a delicious fruit. I wish it was widely available commercially. It is on my list to grow, maybe next season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Apparently the paw paw fruit only lasts a few days so a far as I know nobody grows the fruit commercially. It is the only large tree fruit native to America. All other fruit has been from elsewhere. Hard to believe.
The tree should grow well in California.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Apparently the paw paw fruit only lasts a few days so a far as I know nobody grows the fruit commercially. It is the only large tree fruit native to America. All other fruit has been from elsewhere. Hard to believe.
The tree should grow well in California.
Yes, shippability is so often the determining factor with commercial fruit production... I think it could be possible, with air shipping and bruise-proof packaging. Even frozen pulp would be wonderful for making smoothies. They do that with Guanabana or Soursop (Annona muricata), which is a close relative and similar in taste, but not at all frost-hardy.
I had the opportunity to harvest wild fruit once during a trip in the Ozarks. I was so impressed by the taste. I never forgot that.
I know some rare fruit grower sin California do cultivate it. I just need to find a good source for a small sapling, or maybe even fresh seed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I bought two bare root 5 year old trees from Niagara Falls Cañada about 15 years ago. They produced nothing until about four years ago. I got one fruit the first year. Subsequent years more one year 10 pounds. It is very slow growing initially. Nice to have the plant.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey Durgan,

How are you doing mate...long time no see/speak. You might remember me from around the 2007 - 2010 period when I lived in Brantford, and we chatted and met from the garden forum. You also gave me some plants.....to jog your memory, I am the Black fella originally from the UK.

I joined the military and got posted out of the area. In the process I lost most of my plants. I now reside in Ottawa

Mick

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Hey Durgan,

How are you doing mate...long time no see/speak. You might remember me from around the 2007 - 2010 period when I lived in Brantford, and we chatted and met from the garden forum. You also gave me some plants.....to jog your memory, I am the Black fella originally from the UK.

I joined the military and got posted out of the area. In the process I lost most of my plants. I now reside in Ottawa

Mick
I must be aging. I sure don't rmember. Where did we meet and what plants did I give you.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I must be aging. I sure don't rmember. Where did we meet and what plants did I give you.
Ahahahaha...it\s been over 10yrs and I have aged as well. I lived on Shantz ave, new subdivision at the time close to the Bell manor. You gave me some veggie plants and I visited your yard to see all your plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Ahahahaha...it\s been over 10yrs and I have aged as well. I lived on Shantz ave, new subdivision at the time close to the Bell manor. You gave me some veggie plants and I visited your yard to see all your plants
Were you in the Signal Corps. Did I rototill you garden area?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Were you in the Signal Corps. Did I rototill you garden area?
Yes, Yes...that's me :) You came with your machine. I forgot all about that. There, we made the connection now. I was in Iraq most of last year, and just got back before Xmas.

How are you and the family, hope everyone is doing well? I lost all my plants to the people that bought my house back then. I am in need of taller red canna rhizomes, and sunflower seeds.

Remind me, what's the other forum that had Canada specific section?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You were not black that I can remembr, but that is unimportant. Funny I was working in the garden and had a thought of you. Uncanny.

You must be a Major by now or higher.

I am fine, live with daughtrer and dog. Slowing own a bit but still gardening.

Forums come and go. I am on three. This one, U of BC and World Seniors. Also a few news feeds.

Ask a Question