Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

14 August 2021 Tomato Processing​

Posted on August 14, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/August 2021/14 August 2021 Tomato Processing/HTML/ 14 August 2021 Tomato Processing 14 August 2021 Tomato Processing
Thirty pounds of garden tomatoes were processed into 16 liters of pressure canned juice. (15 PSI for 15 minutes) Only the initial processing is shown due to my camera quit. The routine processing is standard which may be ascertained from most other posts. It may be interesting comparing the home produced pure tomato juice to the standard commercial tomto juice.
dsc_6150_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I don't tend to get the large amounts of tomatoes in one go that you do, however, since my goal is the longest season possible (commensurate with decent yields), because shop produce is woeful, I consider this season a success for me.
I took my first tomato on May 18th, a "Maskotka" cherry tomato. and, with no disease or infection yet visible, will hope to continue production, on a lower level, with gradually descending quality, well into October.
All my tomatoes are greenhouse grown.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My missus cuts the surplus ones in half and puts them in a tray with seasoning and olive oil, then bakes them in the bottom of the oven on a very low gas. She scrapes them out of the skins and freezes them for use in things like spaghetti sauce, and the difference in taste to the commercial product is amazing. Mind you 30 lbs would be a bit much for that sort of treatment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Actually this evening we had pizza, sauce made with our tomatoes, dough made in the breadmaker with tomatoes, basil, cucumber, radish, lettuce. from the garden.

Ask a Question