Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

11 August 2021 Bean and Cucumber Juice​

Posted on August 11, 2021 by Durgan
https://durgan.org/2021/August%202021/11%20August%202021%20Bean%20and%20cucumber%20Juice/HTML/index.htm 11 August 2021 Bean and cucumber Juice
Twenty three pound of bush beans, no support required, and cucumbers both about 11 pounds, were processed into 16 liter jars of slurry/juice, and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minute for storage. Each bean required that the end connected to the bean stem had to be removed. This was a bit tedious. The two mix well and make a convenient drink. Method was standard and pictures depict the process.
dsc_6024_std.jpg

This entry was posted in Un

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
random question. do you freeze any veggies? I have found that blanching, sealing and freezing green beans are a good way of keeping the taste and texture close to freshness

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I use to freeze meat, but found vegetbles frozen to be poor quality so quit using that method. I eat little meat so miss nothing in the meat area. The chosen method is slurry/juice,and cold room storage, plus grains and legumes from bulk food stores. Dehydrating is too expensive and marginl results. Slurry/juice keeps at room temprature, which is a plus. Canning conventionally using hotwater works to some degree but is awkward. Pickling is also of marginal utility. I consider commercial canning as almost useless health wise. Utilize fresh during our marginal length growing season and enjoy for few months. Such is lfe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The veggies I have frozen out of the garden are excellent quality and flavour, including peas(mange tout) beans of all kinds, cabbage and broccoli, parsnips and spinach and onions. They are also nicely defined in the food preparation and actually look more appetising on the plate. We do not eat meat, but use alternative protein based foods. The thought of turning everything into ''slurry'' makes me feel ill - we refer to cow poo as ''slurry''

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I eat or give away all the English beans (runner beans) fresh, because, no matter what I do they end up not far from your slurry, but French beans, like those you have, Durgan, I find blanch & freeze very well.

Ask a Question