Paw Paw seedling is drooping

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started a seedling from a paw paw seed. Started growing well a couple of months ago in a 4 inch pot, indoors. Got to a height of about 4 inches. It now is drooping. I water it daily. Any advice on what I should do, in case it is under stress or otherwise seeming to have taken a bad turn?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Watering daily in a 4" pot seems rather excessive. They like to be moist/damp, not wet. Does the container drain well? Have you taken it out of the pot to check for wetness? Pictures would also help a little.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watering daily in a 4" pot seems rather excessive. They like to be moist/damp, not wet. Does the container drain well? Have you taken it out of the pot to check for wetness? Pictures would also help a little.
Thanks for the reply. The pot does have drains. I'm going to cut back on the watering, and hope it can recover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. The pot does have drains. I'm going to cut back on the watering, and hope it can recover.
Take the plant and the soil out of the pot. It will come out easily. Look for any brown or black roots. If you see any snip them off, run water over the soil until all of the roots are exposed and then repot with fresh potting mix. This will probably stop any root rot which may occur. Sterilize the pot with a bleach solution and rinse clean.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant drooping after watering is a good indication you need to up-pott the pant into a 6 in pot. Be sure and use the same soil as the soil the plant is in now for an easy transition. ,.

Reaction score
Country
United States
oneeye and Chuck,

Thank you for taking the time to post. I stopping watering a few days ago, and plan to just moisten the soil. I haven't done anything else, and the plant it both perking up AND turning to the sunlight (I have it on a window sill). I'll keep watch and see what happens.

Ask a Question