Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
21 May 2018 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
Posted on May 21, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/May 2018/21 May 2018 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)/HTML/21 May 2018 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
The pawpaw tree (2) is starting to grow. The flowers are produced prior to the leaves emerging. Both trees are very healthy. There should be a good harvest of fruit this year, since there was no late Spring frost.

009_std.jpg

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
21 May 2018 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
Posted on May 21, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/May 2018/21 May 2018 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)/HTML/21 May 2018 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
The pawpaw tree (2) is starting to grow. The flowers are produced prior to the leaves emerging. Both trees are very healthy. There should be a good harvest of fruit this year, since there was no late Spring frost.

009_std.jpg
We have been trying to grow pawpaws for about 5 years now. I know they will grow in this area, as we went to a historic site the other day and they had an abundance of them. I don't know if we got the wrong variety or what, but just growing very slowly. Are they just too young to fruit? Are we expecting too much of them? We have had several flowers, but never any fruit. I can guarantee you no late spring freeze here in the South.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
Posted on July 23, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/May 2017/29 May 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)/HTML/29 May 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
There are two Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) trees in the garden planted in 2007 bare root about seven years growing. One tree is in partial shade and the other in full sun. The full sun tree is slightly larger. Only one fruit has been obtained last year from one tree. The leaves are not fully out yet. Both trees are covered in healthy blossoms. In the past the blossoms have usually been damaged by frost which is absent this year. This tree is unique. It is the only native large fruit tree of NA. All other large fruit trees have been imported. Zone 5 is probably on the outer periphery for this tree to grow. The fruit most delicious is not seen in stores since it is soft like a ripe banana and does not ship well.
dsc_7336_std.jpg

Fruit forming first time since planting about 8 years.
http://durgan.org/2017/June%202017/15%20June%202017%20Pawpaw%20(Asimina%20triloba)/ HTML/ 15 June 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
An abundance of fruit is forming on both trees. This is the first time, since planting.
dsc_7615_std.jpg

Fruit growing on one tree.10 July 2017
http://durgan.org/2017/July 2017/10 July 2017 Pawpaw Fruit/HTML/10 July 2017 Pawpaw Fruit
One tree has several fruit. The fruit is difficult to see with all the leaves. The other tree has no fuit.
pawpaw%20028_std.jpg

23 July 2017 Pawpaw Fruit
http://durgan.org/2017/July 2017/23 July 2017 Pawpaw Fruit/HTML/23 July 2017 Pawpaw Fruit
The fruit is getting larger and easier to locate in the heavy vegetation. All indicators are for an abundant harvest.
pawpaw%20fruit%20002_std.jpg

6 August 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba). Fruit is strong and getting larger.
http://durgan.org/2017/August 2017/6 August 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)/HTML/6 August 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
pawpaw%20013_std.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged 29 May 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba), Pawp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
29 October 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) harvest
Posted on October 29, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/October 2017/29 October 2017 Pawpaw Asimina triloba harvest/HTML/29 October 2017 Pawpaw Asimina triloba harvest
Weather is getting colder so decided to pick the fruit off the Asimina triloba commonly called the Pawpaw tree. Five pounds were picked. Over the season about ten pounds were picked total from two trees. The fruit is sweet and is edible as soon as deemed of sufficient size. After picking the fruit ripens in about three das on the counter top.
pawpaw%20asimina%20triloba%20015_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I got two bare root trees from Niagara Falls in 2007. They were about six years old at that time,. They were very slow growing. Many times I thought they were dying. Then suddenly one fruit. This year I expect a fat harvest.

I think they are native to your climate. If you have the room they are a welcome addition to any garden. Lovely fruit to eat.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have had several flowers, but never any fruit.

I guess pollination is a problem with pawpaws.

Bees show no interest in pawpaw flowers. The task of pollenization is left to unenthusiastic species of flies and beetles. A better solution for the home gardener is to hand pollinate, using a small, soft artist's brush to transfer pollen to the stigma. Pollen is ripe for gathering when the ball of anthers is brownish in color, loose and friable. Pollen grains should appear as small beige-colored particles on the brush hairs. The stigma is receptive when the tips of the pistils are green, glossy and sticky, and the anther ball is firm and greenish to light yellow in color http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=8990

Regarding your question of hanging road kill in the tree to attract rotting meat-loving flies, The College of Arts and Science at Vanderbilt University confirm that commercial pawpaw growers do use this practice to increase fruit set. But before you do hang it, please consider your neighbors living downwind!

Durgan, I learned two days ago that my neighbor's brother has pawpaw trees in his woods, and they are going to bring me two of them! :joyful:

I have been thinking about ways to pollinate them, and I am thinking that maybe catfish bait is the answer. They make several varieties of very smelly bait, since catfish are bottom feeders, they find food through their sense of smell. Maybe if you smeared some paste on a branch, or were to spray the flowers, or the stems they are on...? :unsure:

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess pollination is a problem with pawpaws.

Durgan, I learned two days ago that my neighbor's brother has pawpaw trees in his woods, and they are going to bring me two of them! :joyful:

I have been thinking about ways to pollinate them, and I am thinking that maybe catfish bait is the answer. They make several varieties of very smelly bait, since catfish are bottom feeders, they find food through their sense of smell. Maybe if you smeared some paste on a branch, or were to spray the flowers, or the stems they are on...? :unsure:
Hey, I am learning something new here. I will have to try hand pollinating next year, as the flowers have come and gone this year. Don't know why I didn't think of that one. Always a couple of flowers, but never a fruit. My husband used to eat these when he was a child. He loved them. I am looking forward to next year.
@Durgan, I guess I just need to be a bit more patient. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I do nothing to encourage pollination. But this year I will move this plant closer to the two trees.
15 June 2017 Dracunculus vulgaris
Posted on June 15, 2017 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2017/June 2017/15 June 2017 Dracunculus vulgaris/HTML/15 June 2017 Dracunculus vulgaris
This grows every year from two bulbs planted ten years ago. The vegetation disappears completely during the Summer. When the flowers first open they have strong unpleasant odor to attract flies for pollination. The “Stink” that emanates from the flower on the day it opens smells somewhat like rotting meat and attracts flies as the chief pollinator. Luckily the odor dissipates after the first day, allowing you to enjoy the exotic beauty of this unusual plant! An ornamental cultivar. Dracunculus vulgaris is known by many names, Dragon Lily, Voodoo Lily, Stink Lily.

dsc_7653_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I just bought a couple grafted twigs of different variety a couple days ago, hopefully I can get them to grow and some day produce. Found something from Kentucky State University on hand pollinating them:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
I was going to suggest sowing a bunch of pansy seeds in a nearby flower bed. Attracts bees and butterflies, inexpensive and pretty too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I am in Zone 5 and the killer for me is the Spring frost, it completely damages the blooms. So far this year the two trees look fine and I am hoping for a good harvest, but it is now too early to determine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I was going to suggest sowing a bunch of pansy seeds in a nearby flower bed. Attracts bees and butterflies, inexpensive and pretty too.
Bees and butterflies are not the typical pollinators for these as the flowers are not attractive to them. Its my understanding the flowers can have a bit of rotten dead stuff smell to them so more attractive to certain kinds of beetles, hence pollination can be iffy.

Ask a Question