Pawpaw tree

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Does anyone grow these? I was surprised to discover they are perfect for my growing area so I am really surprised I've never seen one.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Oh yes absolutely. In fact, they are native to our Big Thicket Preserve on the edge of which I reside. I love 'em.

Surprised they extend their range to Ontario!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh yes absolutely. In fact, they are native to our Big Thicket Preserve on the edge of which I reside. I love 'em.

Surprised they extend their range to Ontario!

Strange. I was reading they need warm summers and cold winters so I am surprised they grow in Texas. Although if that's not true it would explain why no one here grows them. I'll have to read up more on them.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
From my County agent:

" in the yards of East Texas folks they are relatively easy to care for and maintain. Reaching a mature height of 30-40 feet, with trunks that expand to about a foot in diameter, they attract few pests by comparison to other, similar trees. The paw paw tree even serves as a host plant for the native zebra swallowtail butterfly. Additionally, it's noted for the striking rust-yellow leaves that descend from its branches in the fall.

If found in the wild, you'll likely see these trees in small groves. If you want to have them in your backyard, you'll need slightly acidic soil that is rich and well-drained. Also, if you intend to grow fruit, you'll need to plant two different paw paw cultivars."

Reaction score
Country
Canada
From my County agent:

" in the yards of East Texas folks they are relatively easy to care for and maintain. Reaching a mature height of 30-40 feet, with trunks that expand to about a foot in diameter, they attract few pests by comparison to other, similar trees. The paw paw tree even serves as a host plant for the native zebra swallowtail butterfly. Additionally, it's noted for the striking rust-yellow leaves that descend from its branches in the fall.

If found in the wild, you'll likely see these trees in small groves. If you want to have them in your backyard, you'll need slightly acidic soil that is rich and well-drained. Also, if you intend to grow fruit, you'll need to plant two different paw paw cultivars."

It's really interesting. There are many verities of pawpaw but about 11 need the warmer climate like where you are. But they use to be very common in Ontario. I found this:

"Rare pawpaw once abundant in Ontario.
Because of its rich taste, Indigenous people planted them near their communities and along many of their trade routes. Today, the tree only grows in about a dozen places and is one of the rarest species in Canada."

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That is very interesting to me...especially about the indigenous people.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Because they are a native tree to Canada I am really surprised the government doesn't do anything to bring them back. Or if not the government, some naturalist organization. It's very strange to me considering the amount of effort put into restoring other native plants and wildlife.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think I might have found another side mission for myself.. just call me little pepper pawpaw seed, make way little Johnny apple seed lol! 😂 Joke, but I am going to grow some and see how many I can scatter around and convince other people to grow.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Great...don't depend on the Government for anything, at least ours.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You are well outside the range of one of my favorite specialty fruits...the Mayhaw. Paw paws made me think of the Mayhaw we have native here.

From Wikipedia:

Mayhaw is the name given to the fruit of the species of Crataegus series Aestivales that are common in wetlands throughout the southern United States. The principal species are C. aestivalis, the eastern mayhaw, and C. opaca, the western mayhaw.

Mayhaws grow in moist soil in river and creek bottoms under hardwood trees. The fruit is also found in bayous surrounding lakes, such as Caddo Lake on the Texas/Louisiana border. The fruit ripens in late April through May, thus the name may-haw. Mayhaws are often collected out of the water from boats, and the fruit is used to make jelly.

Families would go on outings to collect mayhaws and create stockpiles of the jelly to last throughout the year, but the tradition has declined with the increasing urbanization of the South and the destruction of the mayhaw's native habitat. The fruit has also been cultivated to grow outside of wetlands, and this is increasingly the source of the jelly.

Very limited range but spectacular fruit.

R.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You are well outside the range of one of my favorite specialty fruits...the Mayhaw. Paw paws made me think of the Mayhaw we have native here.

From Wikipedia:

Mayhaw is the name given to the fruit of the species of Crataegus series Aestivales that are common in wetlands throughout the southern United States. The principal species are C. aestivalis, the eastern mayhaw, and C. opaca, the western mayhaw.

Mayhaws grow in moist soil in river and creek bottoms under hardwood trees. The fruit is also found in bayous surrounding lakes, such as Caddo Lake on the Texas/Louisiana border. The fruit ripens in late April through May, thus the name may-haw. Mayhaws are often collected out of the water from boats, and the fruit is used to make jelly.

Families would go on outings to collect mayhaws and create stockpiles of the jelly to last throughout the year, but the tradition has declined with the increasing urbanization of the South and the destruction of the mayhaw's native habitat. The fruit has also been cultivated to grow outside of wetlands, and this is increasingly the source of the jelly.

Very limited range but spectacular fruit.

View attachment 98249

I had to look it up, I never heard of it. It says they taste like a cross between a cranberry and a crabapple. Interesting, would make a good sauce for poultry it sounds like.

An ex gf once asked me when we got a lottery ticket would I would do if I won? I said I'd spend every moment of the rest of my life traveling the world to experience every single fruit, veggie, meat and food that exists. She looked at me like I was crazy and she said "I'd buy a Ferrari and go clothes shopping every day". We broke up not long after that lol.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
LOL, you definitely made the right choice there.

I'll try to find a friend who has some spare Mayhaw jelly I can send you. You won't believe how good it tastes. It is highly prized here so I may not be successful but will try. I have heard it said that it is an acquired taste...maybe because a cross between a cranberry and crabapple.o_Oo_O

Reaction score
Country
Canada
LOL, you definitely made the right choice there.

I'll try to find a friend who has some spare Mayhaw jelly I can send you. You won't believe how good it tastes. It is highly prized here so I may not be successful but will try. I have heard it said that it is an acquired taste...maybe because a cross between a cranberry and crabapple.o_Oo_O

I love both! When I was a kid we had a crabapple tree and my mom would make some kind of sweet crabapples in mason jars, like you would do something pickled. Unfortunately I never got the recipe but they were so delicious! I bet those would be too done the same way.

I have always wanted to try guava fruit but it's impossible to get here, not even jam. So a few months ago I ordered some online from Jamaica to try. Most expensive jam I ever had lol but it was worth it to try.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I already have a lead on some Mayhaw jelly to send you...send me a forwarding address in a pm.

Ask a Question