Pawpaw tree

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Jelly I ment. It's funny how much wild edibles there are but very few people take advantage of them or even know they are edible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Planted 2 last year and 2 more a couple of weeks ago. Removed 2 mulberries to put these instead. One has grown to about 4 feet tall. The other one was a runt of a tree when I got it (first one in the pic). Struggled all last year but has made better progress this year. The 2 I planted a couple of weeks ago are growing good and bigger than the runt already.

These are understory trees so they need morning shade until they are somewhat mature. Im in a forest so that spot has shade in the morning from the trees on the east (left) side.

These are pollinated by flies. The flowers supposedly smell bad and attract the flies. Read that you should hang some rotted meet to get more flies to the area for better pollination. Not going to happen as racoon, possums and coyotes would be an issue.

Really nice looking tree. The leaves are really big. They look rather funny now since the leaves are almost bigger than the tree itself.

Seem to be resistant to insects and diseases. I don't need spray during the growing season which is unusual for my area.

MOD

Attachments

• 20230703_081914.jpg
    20230703_081914.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question