29 May 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/May%202017/29%20May%202017%20Pawpaw%20(Asimina%20triloba)/HTML/ 29 May 2017 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
There are two Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) trees in the garden planted in 2007 bare root about seven years growing. One tree is in partial shade and the other in full sun. The full sun tree is slightly larger. Only one fruit has been obtained last year from one tree. The leaves are not fully out yet. Both trees are covered in healthy blossoms. In the past the blossoms have usually been damaged by frost which is absent this year. This tree is unique. It is the only native large fruit tree of NA. All other large fruit trees have been imported. Zone 5 is probably on the outer periphery for this tree to grow. The fruit most delicious is not seen in stores since it is soft like a ripe banana and does not ship well.
dsc_7336_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Beautiful, I hope it's not one of those threatened species (endangered, going to be extinct).

How does the fruit taste like, edible?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/October%202016/4%20October%202016%20Pawpaw%20%28Asimina%20triloba%29/HTML/ 4 October 2016 Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)
Today cutting the grass around one of my two Pawpaw trees, a fruit was espied under the tree and I had my first view of a pawpaw fruit. I never saw any others all during the summer. Two trees from bare root stock were planted in 2007. They were about six years growing at the time. The last two years there were flowers but they all fell off and there was never any fruit. The fruit is soft, and pleasant tasting. I took pictures and am going to try to propagate from the seeds obtained. I suspect my area Zone 5 is about the upper limit for this cultivar. Both trees grow well and have much large leaf vegetation
pawpaw%20(asimina%20triloba)img0701_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I think if you tie small muslin bag around flower, after some days from blossom or when it start to grow fruit , to catch the fruit from fall, you can sure get a fresh one.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Previously the flower fell off at the slightest touch. Not this year.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Durgan, you may find this article interesting.
http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=8990

I'll quote a few bits to show you why! :D

Bees show no interest in pawpaw flowers. The task of pollenization is left to unenthusiastic species of flies and beetles. A better solution for the home gardener is to hand pollinate, using a small, soft artist's brush to transfer pollen to the stigma. Pollen is ripe for gathering when the ball of anthers is brownish in color, loose and friable. Pollen grains should appear as small beige-colored particles on the brush hairs. The stigma is receptive when the tips of the pistils are green, glossy and sticky, and the anther ball is firm and greenish to light yellow in color."

Regarding your question of hanging road kill in the tree to attract rotting meat-loving flies, The College of Arts and Science at Vanderbilt University confirm that commercial pawpaw growers do use this practice to increase fruit set. But before you do hang it, please consider your neighbors living downwind!

:eek: Apparently dead fish will work, also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This plant Dracunculus Vulgaris grow about 40 feet from the Pawpaw tree. Maybe the many flies attracted to the voodoo lily are pollinating the pawpaw tree, since they tend to bloom at the same time. Speculation only.

http://durgan.org/2016/June%202016/1%20June%202016%20Dracunculus%20Vulgaris/HTML/ 1 June 2016 Dracunculus Vulgaris
This grows every year from two bulbs planted ten years ago. The vegetation disappears completely during the Summer. When the flowers first open they have strong unpleasant odor to attract insects for pollination. Has no human uses except for the rather unique flower.
Dracunculus Vulgaris
The voodoo lily (Arum dracunculus) is also called black arum, dragonwort and dragon arum. It is also known as the stink lily because of the unpleasant aroma the flower emits to attract its main pollinators, such as flies, beetles and ants. They are native to Mediterranean Europe, the Balkans and southwest Turkey.
1%20june%202016%20dracunculus%20vulgaris0650_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
MaryMary: I contemplated hand pollination but my attempt last year was in vain, since when I touched the flowers they fell off. This year they did their thing without my intervention. But this year we also had no killer Spring frosts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If they're floriferous enough, would it be worth sacrificing one flower, holding it to some others, and using a hand-held fan, try wind-pollinating?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
If they're floriferous enough, would it be worth sacrificing one flower, holding it to some others, and using a hand-held fan, try wind-pollinating?

I will work on that. A battery operated small fan would be ideal. I will start searching. Certainly a brush is not practical.

Ask a Question