Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of using a couple of blue slates for the roof, these would really overhang and burn the bee motifs on the flanks...this was only a little project from scrap timber so the next one may be more refined :)

Do you know that you have more likes than messages.. An achievement in its own right. Genius working over-time again. I just wish there would be someone to tidy up my house .. garden ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The bamboo tubes should be at least 6" in length. For some reason, ( :rolleyes: Nature... :confused:.) if the tubes are not long enough, then only males will be hatched. The males come out first, scout the neighborhood, and then perch at the bee house, waiting to mate the newly hatched females!! (Seriously, they "stalk" the house. Go and YouTube search "Mason bees mating" and you don't even have to watch any, just look at the options you're given, you'll see - it happens right on the bee house.)

I saw a video of one male, crawling in and out of all the tubes, checking to see if anyone was awake yet!! :eek:

I know it's a little late, but if you build another, put a little more overhang on the "roof" or give them an awning...to keep out rain. Or maybe hang them under an eave on the shed or garage...

Hang it somewhere it will get morning sun.

They only forage about a hundred yards*, so if you want them to use your house, put it fairly close to a pollen source. The female makes a little ball of pollen and nectar, then lays an egg on top of it. She then collects mud to build a partition wall, and the process starts again. You'll need a little mud patch nearby, too! ;)

* One website said 300 yards, so I figure better safe than sorry. :)

Hang it outside in the spring, overwinter in shed or garage. (This will also help it last, since you are not going to treat it with anything. ;).)

If you really want a new hobby, watch this video. @BigC, you have enough hobbies, maybe it's best you not watch it!! :ROFLMAO:

@MaryMary you're so knowledgeable. Yes, mustn't let the rain get into the hotel ..This bit I know.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary I agree.. The way @BigC goes, he won't be able to sleep as he's thinking of all his projects every waking minute..

@johnny canoe and I will be thinking of making apple tarts only. By the way, Johnny you can freeze boiled apple and use it by and by for bread or oatmeal or porridge .. You know what I mean.. Or to go with pork chops. I can murder one now.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I cook and freeze all my cooking apples,so i can use later. Last year i got a lot from a neaghbour. She has a big Bramley tree in her back garden. I was a bit cheeky to ask if she had too many and that i wouldn't mind having some.:D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I cook and freeze all my cooking apples,so i can use later. Last year i got a lot from a neaghbour. She has a big Bramley tree in her back garden. I was a bit cheeky to ask if she had too many and that i wouldn't mind having some.:D
I am sure she was relieved that you would relieve her of her burden.. Let's put it this way, how many of them can you use? I had 5 apples from ex and even now I have headache as to what to do with the content in the slow cooker. I'd better do something quickly before it gets moudy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha granted I have too many things to achieve before I go :whistle:
One of my biggest is to get a decent tune out of my 5 string banjo...long been a lover of Bluegrass Music but its proving difficult hahaha

IMAG0268_1[1].jpg

I try to use it as a relaxation tool but its proving even more stressful not to mention time consuming hahaha

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder what instrument or song @johnny canoe likes!? He did mention something. Who plays the piano chez BigC?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder what instrument or song @johnny canoe likes!? He did mention something. Who plays the piano chez BigC?
My wife can tinkle the ivories a little..actually the piano was purchased when my father died...he left us a little money so we made the purchase as a remembrance item of him that we can cherish for years to come rather than spend it in a foolish manner.
The banjo I imported from the USA

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't you freeze it? Or do a crumble, put some other fruit with it. I had 5lb of fruit, cooked it in the microwave one at a time, with honey. Let it cool, put it in 1 large bag. When i wanted a bit, put it in the microwave for 1 Mon, to soften it and take what i want, put the rest back.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My son plays the piano, the flute and the violin. I used to love piano music. But I must say violin music is just out of this world, some sets my heart on fire!

A good investment and it's nice when someone plays the piano during festive seasons.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't you freeze it? Or do a crumble, put some other fruit with it. I had 5lb of fruit, cooked it in the microwave one at a time, with honey. Let it cool, put it in 1 large bag. When i wanted a bit, put it in the microwave for 1 Mon, to soften it and take what i want, put the rest back.

Yes, I need to do something quick. Shame to waste it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wish it were credit to me! I'm tone deaf and can't count the time signatures. It's the genes of my ex's family. His mother can play the piano and ex has a soft hand playing his piano, but apparently, he failed his grade and the piano teacher advised him to stop. What a shame as he plays really well. He has a nice touch ... I failed my grade 3 and that's the end of my piano playing. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi alp,
I'm a big time fan of the blues, boogie woogie and southern gospel. And that's what I stick to playing on my piano.
However I enjoy listening to many types of music. Last evening I was sipping ginger cider in front on my greenhouse listening to alternative rock and ended up listening to Cajun. lol

Ask a Question