Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Blame supermarket X, LOL! The one whose CEO earns millions by reducing the wages of his staff straight away ..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just made some jam tarts
IMG_20170822_092525.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Same here! I'm very hungry .. Those lattices are so nice.. , not to mention that they are homemade.. You're living the good life, @Logan .

Just took cuttings of my Teesbrooke Audrey, Emory Paul, Frosted tip and speckled magenta stripe. Son got stung by stinging nettle and cried like a baby! Not cry, but kicked up a big stink!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp thanks, just been tying up the new loganberry canes for next year. Shame about your son,is he always like that? It's not very nice getting stung by nettles. I've been doing some weeding and didn't notice that there were nettles there as well. I keep getting bitten by very tiny insects.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When you go walking your dogs, make sure no ticks can enter your trousers or shoes. Ticks are troublesome as they could be the cause of lyme disease and Matt Dawson has to have surgery for a tick bite. Make sure you do that, @Logan

My son kicked up a big stink when a woman haggled with him. It was almighty embarrassing, but I chimed in as these vultures deserved no pity .. LOL! Then I told him off for kicking up the fuss .. All he needed to do was to turn his face BLANK!

I know this girl who has a tiger mum. The mum wanted her to teach her this and that. I duly obliged. After 20 minutes, her face went totally blank and I moved my hand in face of her face, NOT A BLINK! Like those dogs pretending to be dead when their owners wanted to leave a park or have them inoculated! :eek::D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Logan,
Your baking looks very tasty! I have so many apples I was thinking of making pies and tarts but I haven't made pastry dough in about 10yrs. I suppose I could buy it. Well first I'll see if I still can turn out decent dough.

I think a tiger mum is something like a mamma bear.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Got some bamboo for the little Bug Hut and some small old branch material to drill...I have burnt some Oak leaves and acorns on each flank...I dunno if I want to paint or stain the thing, an all in one natural stain and varnish may be best I think...see what I have lying around..

The bamboo tubes should be at least 6" in length. For some reason, ( :rolleyes: Nature... :confused:.) if the tubes are not long enough, then only males will be hatched. The males come out first, scout the neighborhood, and then perch at the bee house, waiting to mate the newly hatched females!! (Seriously, they "stalk" the house. Go and YouTube search "Mason bees mating" and you don't even have to watch any, just look at the options you're given, you'll see - it happens right on the bee house.)

I saw a video of one male, crawling in and out of all the tubes, checking to see if anyone was awake yet!! :eek:

I know it's a little late, but if you build another, put a little more overhang on the "roof" or give them an awning...to keep out rain. Or maybe hang them under an eave on the shed or garage...

Hang it somewhere it will get morning sun.

They only forage about a hundred yards*, so if you want them to use your house, put it fairly close to a pollen source. The female makes a little ball of pollen and nectar, then lays an egg on top of it. She then collects mud to build a partition wall, and the process starts again. You'll need a little mud patch nearby, too! ;)

* One website said 300 yards, so I figure better safe than sorry. :)

Hang it outside in the spring, overwinter in shed or garage. (This will also help it last, since you are not going to treat it with anything. ;).)

If you really want a new hobby, watch this video. @BigC, you have enough hobbies, maybe it's best you not watch it!! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's a little late, but if you build another, put a little more overhang on the "roof" or give them an awning...to keep out rain. Or maybe hang them under an eave on the shed or garage...
I'm thinking of using a couple of blue slates for the roof, these would really overhang and burn the bee motifs on the flanks...this was only a little project from scrap timber so the next one may be more refined :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Logan,
Your baking looks very tasty! I have so many apples I was thinking of making pies and tarts but I haven't made pastry dough in about 10yrs. I suppose I could buy it. Well first I'll see if I still can turn out decent dough.

I think a tiger mum is something like a mamma bear.

Hahaha!

I would stick to shop bought pastry and when you have made one or two, you could see if you have enjoyed yourself and take it from there, @johnny canoe

Ask a Question